A very hot day: Through Bremen and on to Dotlinger - From Copenhagen's Little Mermaid to Milan's Great Cathedral - CycleBlaze

August 19, 2012

A very hot day: Through Bremen and on to Dotlinger

After breakfast it was a delightful and easy ride from the historic little village of Fischerhude to Bremen. Fischerhude is notable mainly because a number of important German artists came there to paint; nowadays it seems as if it is an easy weekend escape from the hustle, bustle and hordes of tourists in Bremen. One man asked us ‘However did two people from New Zealand get to stray into the little village of Fischerhude’. About 10 km out of Bremen we stopped to buy bread and were picked up by a man going in the same direction and he acted as or guide until we were well on the way. He told us he has been cycling into work in Bremen for 30years. When I asked about the winter he said he put on more clothes and had special snow tires for his bike – the sure build cyclists tough here in Germany.

It was easy to follow the route into the Centrum. First it was along a disused railway corridor and then twisted and turned through the streets always perfectly marked. Bremen was just waking for a busy day when we arrived in the Centrum. The market was almost set up and we were the first to sit down and have a coffee in the square looking at the statue of ‘The Musicians of Bremen’, a children story I and all our children have loved. We had to get in a line to take a photo with it; goodness knows how we would have coped latter in the day.

Seeing a Vodaphone shop I decided to tackle the problem of internet connection. Originally I had intended to get a modem stick at a Lidle but after reading the problems Steve Miller had had getting connected I decided to seek help from those that should be experts. The first shop was useless but I found another with a wonderfully helpful man from Bulgaria. Not only did he sell me an internet stick but also downloaded all the appropriate programs to activate it. I quickly tested it just putting on the text from yesterday. Around an hour had gone by and I think Ken was getting a little sick of hanging around outside the shop. At long last we were on our way out of Bremen.

Again it was relatively easy route finding but it was getting very hot now, over 30 degrees and I began to wilt. Ken resisted saying I was pathetic but he was probably thinking it. Just before Dotlinger we saw a sign pointing to a camp site that was in the trees and looked as if it would be cool. It suits us perfectly, coolish in the shade of the trees, very quiet and clean and there were lovely cold drinks and a restaurant that looks as if it will suit us perfectly. There are 2 other couples in the area reserved for overnighters and we are being serenaded by doves.

People rushing around the world at high speed while we move like snails beneath them
Heart 0 Comment 0
The route into Bremen
Heart 0 Comment 0
Trams provide wonderful public transport
Heart 0 Comment 0
A picture particularly for Pat
Heart 0 Comment 0
A flower market in Bremen
Heart 0 Comment 0
Enough carrots even for the Walas
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bremen
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
These Russian singers in the centre of Bremen were delightful
Heart 0 Comment 0
These were working well today - I wish they weren't
Heart 0 Comment 0
Early single cylinder Deutz deisel tractor. That knowledge doesnt come from me!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our lovely quiet camp in the forest near Dotlinger
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 72 km (45 miles)
Total: 825 km (512 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0