A day of island hopping: We are positoned for our ferry ride to Germany - From Copenhagen's Little Mermaid to Milan's Great Cathedral - CycleBlaze

August 11, 2012

A day of island hopping: We are positoned for our ferry ride to Germany

There seems to be a pattern of wind picking up at about mid day so we had decided to out fox it. It was only 6.45 when we set out and what a glorious morning. The water in the harbor was glassy calm and there was not a cloud in the sky. Amazing conditions for our day of island hopping. Last night we were in the island of Mon and we needed to get near to Gedser which is on the island of Falster. To do this we first had to cross to the island of Bogo. This was easy, we speed along in the coolness of this beautiful morning until we came to what looked on our maps like a very long bridge to Bogo. In fact it turned out to be mainly a causeway with just a short bridge in the middle. People were beginning to start their day and we watched fishermen hauling up empty nets. From Bogo we had to get a ferry to Stubbekobing on the island we needed. At Bogo the little harbor was charming and we had plenty of time to exploe it as we arrived an hour before the first ferry left. There was an enticing looking coffee shop but of course it was yet to open so we drank water and ate chocolate while watching the locals getting ready for a day at sea. The water is amazingly clear but was full of great big jelly fish so I presume that swimming wouldn’t be possible.

When the ferry arrived the only passengers where Ken, me and a local lady. The ride is only 12 minutes and very efficient. From Stubbekobing the route is very well marked and very variable in quality. Sometimes we were on small roads, at other times on gravel roads through beautiful forest close to the sea and occasionally we were down to a single clay track. The sea sparkled and it all looked beautiful, locals were out having fun and at some of the small ports fresh fish was being sold. There was not a single possible coffee stop along the way.

When we reached Marielyst we knew there was camping and that we were within about 10km from Gedser from where we will catch the ferry to Germany tomorrow. It is a strange sort of place, it has no old centre and everything looks new. It is basically a centre for camping and beaches without seemingly much heart. We have found a camping place and were very proud of the ease with which we put up the tent and organised ourselves. To use the internet I have had to find a place called the Velcome Centre. This consists it seems of Tourist Information, a fitness centre and a supermarket. Various people are milling around the place picking up brochures and I have bought 30min internet connection for 15kr. Yes with some difficult we did find a place to get a coffee- at the fitness centre.

Early morning fishermen with empty nets
Heart 0 Comment 0
There was almost no wind
Heart 0 Comment 0
The harbour at Bogo
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ferry arrives
Heart 0 Comment 0
A quick crossing
Heart 1 Comment 0
A house at the forest edge
Heart 1 Comment 0
At our lunch stop looking through the trees to the sea
Heart 0 Comment 0
ken was delighted to see this 1933 DKW in perfect order
Heart 1 Comment 0
The harvest is in full swing
Heart 0 Comment 0
We are getting better at it
Heart 0 Comment 0
An unusual Danish built tractor at the Velkom Centre
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 km (39 miles)
Total: 277 km (172 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0