A Bed in Neuberg - From Copenhagen's Little Mermaid to Milan's Great Cathedral - CycleBlaze

September 15, 2012

A Bed in Neuberg

As we were checking out the man at reception foolishly asked me if we had had a good stay at the hotel. I was able to fill him in with its defects and its consequent lack of value for money. We got a bit down the road and I realized that I had left my crash helmet in the room. Luckily Ken had left the room door open so I was spared the embarrassment of asking the receptionist for the key.

Quite a lot of the ride today was directed well away from the river as the track was closed. This was great and we went through lots of very comfortable looking villages. The houses were not grand or lavish but they all looked partcularly well kept and as if they lacked for very little. My favourite place to have a coffee in Germany is at a Bakkarie . The coffee is always reasonably priced and although not spectacular it is quite acceptable and of course there is always the chance of something yummy to eat. More than that however it is the ladies who run these places. Without exception they seem happy, friendly and always eager to help. Watching the customers come and go everyone has a pleasant few words. Ken says that some how the job must do this to them. The other happy group are the dog walkers. Goodness knows what the euphoria would be like if someone was both a dog walker and worked in a Bakkarie.

Sonny in one of my favourite films ‘The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel’ had a great saying ‘Everything will be alright in the end and if it is not yet alright it is not yet the end’. At Worth we stared looking for somewhere to stay, it was clearly not yet the end. Of the 3 hotels one shut down last week, one was full and the other closed for the day. On to the next place and we spotted a likely looking hotel, closed on Saturdays. We had better go into Karlsruha it would have lots of hotels. Problem no marked cycle track I would set the GPS. It had one of its brain melt downs and sent us off on altogether the wrong direction. We will forget about that and continue on (now well off the main route) and hopefully find something. We did know there was a camping ground about 30km on but if it was like the others I have seen lately I didn’t particularly fancy that. Then we came to Neuberg and saw signs to elusive zimmers. We chased around the back streets but all Belgate Then Ken spotted this place with the sign “zimmer frei”. It is the end and the place rather resembles The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. Ken loves it, it is full of ‘treasures’ and there are hens looking out the windows. in the next door room.

This was a tobacco crop
Heart 0 Comment 0
A proud pumpkin grower
Heart 0 Comment 0
The green route around Ludwigshafen
Heart 0 Comment 0
Zimmer Frei!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The back yard was crammed with treasures
Heart 0 Comment 0
Neuberg is a town of pretty crooked houses
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Germany and France when there is a wedding on a Saturday a procession of decorated cars drive around madly tooting. There were two such weddings in Neuberg this saturday and the cars have just arrived at the reception venue of one.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 72 km (45 miles)
Total: 2,589 km (1,608 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0