Waihi Beach to Thames - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 8 - CycleBlaze

December 15, 2023

Waihi Beach to Thames

Sea to Sea.

Knowing we have quite a long day ahead, we want an early start. But wait, the wind has dropped, the sun is shining  the curling waves crashing on the beach. We grab our togs and quickly head to the water and even more quickly duck under and thrash about. It’s fresh. Very fresh! But our detour to Waihi Beach has not been wasted. We’re invigorated. How invigorated, we’re about to find out.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Surf’s up!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Moderate being a relative term.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The climb out from the coast is moderately steep and a little gasp inducing but it’s not long before we’re over the hump and heading for the main road. Here there’s plenty of traffic but we’re ok inside the shoulder. Once over the hump we continue back to the main road and even heavier traffic, although it’s not long before we turn off for the old Waihi station to pick up the Rail Trail. When we came through on Tuesday it was very quiet, but today the small train is running to Waikino, a short distance down the track and a bus load of young school pupils has arrived. Ann chats to a volunteer, telling him how her father was once a stationmaster.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Waihi miners leaving - WW1. Possibly some worked on mines under German trenches in places like Arras.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The next part of the trail is the reverse of Tuesday’s ride. This time we meet more cyclists, most on e-bikes. The tunnel this time feels much colder and there are some tourists walking through. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We lunch at the same spot and then head then back on trail to Paeroa, about 20 kilometres away. The trail is easy and straight and we’re eager for the Matatoki cafe to appear, which it eventually does. It’s a timely coffee stop. From here, on it’s only a few kilometres on to Thames.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Leaving Paeroa.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lemon & Paeroa has been marketed as a popular drink. How much is lemon and how much Paeroa is uncertain.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
For sale to a caring and energetic renovator.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

The cycle path continues right into Thames and becomes a pleasant ride along the foreshore of the Firth of Thames. At various times in history, this area has been important for sea transport to dock and there are several wharves dating back over a century. This was the transport hub for people and materials from Auckland, especially during the ‘gold rush’ years after the discovery of gold in the Kauaeranga Valley in 1867. 

We discover our own gold at Pak n Save where we pick up supplies. Finding the Lodge after this is easy enough, except that reaching it entails a steep, and seemingly never ending, climb, up a narrow road surrounded by bush. But then we’re there - at a large natural wood building nestled among trees and native bush. We meet our hosts and are show around. Earlier this year on La Vélodyssée in France we stayed at a place owned by an ex Air France pilot, who had decorated his place in an aeronautical theme, and here we experience something similar. There’s a model of a Mustang flying across the dining room ceiling and several smaller planes in a variety of places. But no Flighty Towers is this, the owner is building his own aircraft as well as renovating the Lodge.

Duck!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Come fly with me.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Biggles Flies Forever.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

After dining on the best sausages and salad Pak n Save were able to provide, we chat to a young German couple who are touring New Zealand for two months. It’s interesting seeing our country through the eyes of others - they’re keen to see the Coromandel region and remind us of how places like Ha Hei and Cathedral Cove have been given international exposure. 

After covering one or two other flights of fancy, we head for bed.

Today's ride: 71 km (44 miles)
Total: 259 km (161 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0