Karapiro to Te Aroha - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 8 - CycleBlaze

December 12, 2023

Karapiro to Te Aroha

Middle Earth to the Mountain

We wake  to the roar and swish of traffic on the main road. The rumble of each behemoth as it thunders past reminds us that soon we will have three kilometres of road sharing with them before reaching the turnoff. By contrast, the view from our window looking east is of open green countryside and distant hills. 

After a substantial breakfast concocted from the generous contribution of bacon and eggs supplied our host, we pack and head for the main road.  It’s busy. And noisy- SUBs, double cab it’s and the like are bad enough, but trucks are deafening. Some trucks seem to slow slightly. Ah well - this is a main road.

Departing our country idyll.
Heart 1 Comment 0

It’s just two kilometres and we turn onto Karapiro Road where it’s pleasantly quiet and rural. We then climb the gentle rise on Buckland Road to Hobbiton. Here the carpark is full and the Shire’s Rest Cafe is buzzing. Buses in Hobbiton colours do brisk business. Not that we stop- we saw the movies and  decide not to prolong the experience.  

Heading for Hobbiton - into the west. Sort of.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Number 8 fencing wire holding it together.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Great views from the top.
Heart 2 Comment 0
No rest for us at The Rest.
Heart 0 Comment 0
When the shearing comes around.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0


From Hobbiton it’s pretty much downhill all the way to Matamata. We cycle into town past some large, well established groves of Kauri to a cafe in the Main Street for lunch. The chilling wind has cooled our enthusiasm for a picnic. Parking our bikes next to a black and white Border Collie we order coffee and toasted cheese and ham sandwiches. Ann engages in conversation with a woman sitting nearby. She tells her she’s 93. She doesn’t look a day over 79. She doesn’t tell us her secret, but it’s clear she’s had a busy life running her own business.

After lunch we visit Bob’s bikes to add air to Ann’s protesting tyre. Each wheel rotation has been accompanied by a squelching noise which Bob assures us will be cured by an injection of a few more pounds pressure. And so it proves to be.

From Matamata it’s on to Te Aroha. We stay on a minor road this time because it’s so quiet. And straight. And windy. The latter is the unrelenting sou’wester which blows us sideways at times, but also gives us a bit of a push. In the distance, Mt Te Aroha at the northern end of the Kaimai Range grows gradually greener and larger. But slowly. Or so it seems- in fact my counter tells me we’re moving quite quickly. At one point, a kindly woman waves us to a stop and asks if we need somewhere to stay. We assure her that we have a place but thank her for her generous offer. 

The Kaimai Range.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice to have such a prominent landmark to aim at.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Finally- Te Aroha Holiday Park where we are directed to a generous sized cottage and directions to their hot pool. It’s only 3:30 but feels like we’ve had a full day. We check in, organise our dinner and head off for a hot soak under the shadow of the mountain. The hot springs of Te Aroha are known for their healing qualities, and these are perfect for soothing away the day’s cycling stresses.

Pronto!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Under the mountain.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Over a mean puttanesca with all the extras, we review the route for tomorrow. It’s a reasonable distance to Waihi beach and when we leave the rail trail, will involve some cycling on the road after Waihi township. So it’s an early night. I drift off to visions of wandering hobbits and mountains wreathed in steam from bubbling hot springs.

Today's ride: 72 km (45 miles)
Total: 120 km (75 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0