Stocking Up and Chilling Out - Grampies and the Waddling Dog Summer 2016 - CycleBlaze

July 25, 2016

Stocking Up and Chilling Out

Every bicycle trip has its own character, depending on who is doing the cycling, how long the route is, and how tough the route is. We have often marvelled and to be honest sometimes scoffed, at single males who throw some rice and noodles in a bag and tear off cross country, logging 100 miles a day with their heads down. That is one form of trip - there are dozens of others.

In our own standard trips - heading out for a few months and a few thousand kms - though we do it slowly and with our heads up and lots of stops, there is still a fairly intense purposefulness to it and in our own doddering old timer way, a lot of drive.

But now a trip with little kids is a whole different animal. Putting drive into the equation will just end in tears, literally. Kids need to be eased into the idea of the trip, they need to bring toys, if you are just the grandparents, they need to part with Mom and Dad. On the way they need many stops, and short days. I would say all that applies to kids under 8. Beyond that, maybe there can be more push. We don't know yet, since our oldest grand kids are two days away from being just 8.

Amelia and Evee are 5 and 3. So for this trip with them the level of push is zero. We won't even pedal for another two days. Meantime, we are just slowly getting ready. That means stocking up on essential supplies, like new shoes, and toys. Soon there will be a training ride (to the end of the lane), to make sure Evee is cool with the WeeHoo. That was actually planned for today, but we got too exhausted shopping for shoes. (Parents reading this will be surprised to learn that it was the kids who were exhausted, not the Grampies!)

We started out with general play. No cycling here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
But we got serious in Walmart, looking for the ideal cycling shoes. As you can see, these are very fast!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ideal shoes have flashing lights!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Evee started out with a more conservative style, but ended with flash as well.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Good cycling toys need to be compact.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here are two kids demonstrating other good toy choices. For longer trips, kids need a special toy bag or box. It will become a comforting home base and activity centre for them.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Maybe the kids were beat not because of shopping but because we also took them on this forced training march through the forest.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the other hand, we did end with some fun water play.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0