Woody Point to Rocky Harbor - Newfoundland/Labrador's Viking Trail - CycleBlaze

August 12, 2016

Woody Point to Rocky Harbor

We started the day with a ferryboat ride across Bonne Bay.

Maneuvering the tandem onto the small ferry was easy with assistance from the crew. The short ferry ride saved 20 miles of cycling around the bay, much of it retracing our route from two days ago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We looked back on the punishing climb Rhona put us through yesterday.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Upon exiting the ferry we were unable to wheel the tandem off the dock because of tight quarters. We had to snake through the interior of a restaurant.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There a Marine Interpretation Center in Woody Point. The facility pumped water from several depths of Bonne Bay and circulated it through various aquariums. Some of the snow crabs were quite colorful and had names.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Baleen from a whale which is used to strain plankton and small sea creatures from sea water. It felt like the rough bristles from a scrub brush.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A climb from the bay gave us an opportunity to warm up.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After stopping in the Park Visitors Center

I thought the moose in the Visitors Center was a little too welcoming.
Heart 0 Comment 0

we left our panniers behind and rode an empty bike to near the base of Gros Morne Mountain.

There was a lot of foot traffic from the parking lot along a forested winding and sometimes steep path.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Scudding clouds obscured some of the views.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After about a 1.5 mile hike, Rhona's aching back told us it was time to turn around.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After stopping in the Visitors Center to pick up our panniers it was a quick ride into a cold and windy Rocky Harbor where we got our first view of the shoreline.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 20 miles (32 km)
Total: 87 miles (140 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0