Layover on Quirpon Island - Newfoundland/Labrador's Viking Trail - CycleBlaze

August 21, 2016

Layover on Quirpon Island

One of the attractions for me for staying on Quirpon Island was the expectation that we would be out of range of telephone and internet, but one guest was able to get an cellphone signal...if she stood one legged on the porch and closed one eye. But for the rest of us it felt like a step back to a simpler earlier time. After a hearty breakfast Rhona and I took off on a hike across the top of the island. Other than two buildings associated with the lighthouse there was only one other building on the entire island. We saw the other small house down in a cover along the shore. Ed loaned me a book to read by author Earl B. Pilgrim, "Curse of the Red Cross Ring" which was a semi fictional account of a multiple murder which occurred on Quirpon Island in 1928.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Some of the events detailed in the book occurred in the Lighthouse Keeper's home, where we were staying. Pilgrim lives in the third small house by the cove.

Electric poles also stretched across the island providing leading to lighthouse and a small dirt road/path follows.

Boards placed on logs provided a way for Ed Linkum to use a four wheel drive utility mule to bring supplies from the mainland across the many boggy areas. It looked like it would be a very bumpy adventurous ride. Most supplies arrived on island the way we did, on the Zodiak boat.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view from the lighthouse keeper's home toward another guest building. Over the hill from the flag is the cove where we boated among the whales.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Although the climb over the island was quite steep in places there were several bogs and ponds. I believe in this picture we are looking back across the bay toward Quirpon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We lucked out with the timing for our visit as the Partridge and Bay Berries were ripe. These plump Bay Berries were everywhere along our hike and we saw our cook picking fresh ones to make jelly.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At some point I decided this would chance to swim outside at the furthest north point in our lifetime journeys. We climbed down to this pond and I waded in. It was refreshing to say the least. The hardest part was walking barefoot on the rocks at the bottom of the pond to get to the deeper part.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rhona did not snap a picture when I went under, but my hair is still wet in this picture, so that is my story and I'm sticking with it....
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0