Deer Lake to Woody Point: - Newfoundland/Labrador's Viking Trail - CycleBlaze

August 10, 2016

Deer Lake to Woody Point:

Southern side of Bonne Bay

We had good weather but a busy road heading east out of Deer Lake. The minimal shoulder coupled with the heavy truck traffic took something away from the scenery.

Great scenery in any direction.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The shoulder was narrow to nonexistent and the asphalt worn. Other stretches of the Viking Trail had recently been resurfaced, so this section may be upgraded soon.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our destination for the day was the southern side of Bonne Bay in Gros Morne National Park. We turned left on to Rt. 431 at a little intersection named Wiltondale and immediately benefited from significantly less traffic but some more robust climbs.

At the top of one of those robust climbs we spied some patches of snow still clinging to the side of the mountain ahead.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Like many cyclists we opt for simple fare on the road. Peanut butter on good bread hit the spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We dove out of the hills and to cycle along Bonne Bay estuary.

Steep drop heading down toward Bonne Bay.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We arrived at low tide, but in Newfoundland, even the mudflats were scenic.
Heart 0 Comment 0

There were small hamlets on the narrow roller-coaster road all along the bay.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We stayed at the newly renovated Bonne Bay Inn in Woody Point.

Bonne Bay Inn is situated on the hill above he road. Car parking is restricted to behind the building to preserve the view of the Bay. At times whales can be viewed from the sitting room.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rhona was ecstatic when she saw the tastefully decorated room with a nice hot shower. Bonne Bay Inn 145 Main Road, Woody Point. (709 453-2223)
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a short walk down to Woody Point we found a few small restaurants.

Picturesque fishing village.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This fishing boat near our restaurant was tethered to some type of fish processing or packing facility. Fortunately, there was no bad smell.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A lighthouse was up on the point. I suppose it was operational.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 67 miles (108 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0