Cow Head to Hawke's Bay - Newfoundland/Labrador's Viking Trail - CycleBlaze

August 14, 2016

Cow Head to Hawke's Bay

We continued north along the coast. At times I let out exhuberant "whooeee's!"while cycling with the ocean to our left and green forests on our right but I doubt additional pictures in this journal would convey our delight at the beautiful country we traversed. Ed English had prompted us to keep an eye out for Arches Provincial Park. This unique rock formation along the coast was the result of beach erosion patterns.

Ed said he likes to climb up on the rocks and we could see routes to scrabble up to the tops but we wisely remembered how our backs and knees responded to our previous overly aggressive climbs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We started to see some little garden plots alongside the road. Apparently these plots are encouraged by the Province and make use of land cleared for the road that would be otherwise wasted. Many seemed to have low fences for protection from varmints, but the deer in West Virginia would just think the barriers were hilarious and would serve as markers for them to find fresh vegetables. Perhaps the moose aren't interested in cultivated plants.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There was a scenic view anywhere we chose to stop.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stayed overnight in the Torrent River Inn (800 563 8811) right on the main drag in Hawke's Bay.

Today's ride: 65 miles (105 km)
Total: 187 miles (301 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0