Day 11 - Hastings - Viking Quest ~ 2023 - CycleBlaze

Day 11 - Hastings

Sunrise over Lake Pepin, Lake City, MN
Heart 6 Comment 0

Day 11 - awoke to a sunrise and slightly better temps.  The MRT Bike Trail (shoulder of road),  would take me to Red Wing and then to Hastings,MN for an overnight at a local church.

A known road closure lie ahead within the first 7 miles; Route 61 was closed for three miles.  I turned on the detour and flagged down a motorist to ask them about the route, "...it's a long way around...was his reply.   

I thought about my travelling friend Kerry, who always seemed to challenge closures, maybe I should go back to the closure and ask if I could get through.

I did and the answer was NO, the flag man said another cyclist took the railroad track to get around the three miles.

Hesitantly I did that until I found a gravel road that was running alongside the tracks.  I wasn't sure if this was a good choice or not, if it dead ended I'd have to retrace back to the official detour.

Risky for effective decision.
Heart 3 Comment 4
Jeanna & Kerry SmithHey Keith,

You can't always bat a thousand at avoiding detours, but you'll sure bat zero if you don't ask!! :-)

Kerry
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Daniel SpanglerI have been there. Louise and I bush whacked our bikes through a sand dune one time to avoid riding on the highway.

That’s life sometimes!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Keith A. SpanglerIt is….the risk hopefully out weighs the alternative. Hehehehe
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Keith A. SpanglerTo Jeanna & Kerry Smith It is the little things you gleam from other peoples journals right….. what was funny the next day (after the two detours) I came across another with a steep incline detour. I stopped and thought, ummmm, why is this road / bike trail closed. Just then I saw some bikers who told me the trail/road open. Hehehehe I continued on my way!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago

I saw the construction on 61, the road was gone and there was a lot of activity - too dangerous for anyone.

Well, my self-designed detour brought me back to 61 after the detour with not much lose of time or added mileage.  The 61 shoulder (MRT again) long and lonesome, but it got me 20 miles to Red Wing.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Red Wing looked like a pretty town, a lot of activity. I found breakfast and air condition there.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Cannon Valley Trail
Heart 3 Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerWeathered for sure, but still effective
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
God Bless America - covered boat storage, pretty smart.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0

Trails again took me out of town and through a rural setting for several miles.  The Cannon Valley Trail - paved - made me smile until I saw my next "Road Closed" sign.   A local said it has been closed for years!   Fun, detour.  I met Kevin then, who volunteered to show me a five mile detour around the closure.  

Kevin - a seasoned cyclist and cross country traveler
Heart 3 Comment 0

I followed Kevin for several miles until a climb came.  He looked over at me and said, I know you can do it (the climb), but my car is right here.  Well, we loaded the Heavy Rescue on the "hook."

Kevin was another GEM of the Viking Quest.   He told me he knew what I was feeling, he's been there.   Thank you Kevin so very much!!!

I got back on route and eventually turned onto Route 316 toward Hastings.   It was again a shoulder MRT with NO shade or places to rest, but it got me to the Aquatic Center and a cool bath.

Nice sign design - 😃 River Boat
Heart 3 Comment 0
Casino - sorry no time for that....pool!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Another trail thru Hastings to the water park....
Heart 3 Comment 0
Detour Day 11 - but we made it! Overnight at a local church the onto to Minneapolis - end of Viking Quest 2 leg.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Thank you to everyone I met along the way.  Also thank you to my boys and wifey for getting me through the challenges.  Also to Bill, my biking partner from home.   Lastly thank you mom for sending your love and calm from heaven....I felt it....

Last leg for Viking 2 tomorrow!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Daniel SpanglerLast day if Viking II. CONGRATS! Thanks for a really well written list. I loved how you described the adventure of this day. Cool that you met a friend who helped you around the detour and up the hill.

I miss grandma too! But I know she’s smiling down.
Love you!
Dan
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Kevin McCarthyIt was a pleasure meeting you.

Kevin McCarthy
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Keith A. SpanglerTo Kevin McCarthyKevin, good photo of us right! I’m at the airport now for the flight to Seattle. Had a lot of good news on my next leg to Grand Portage, everyone said it will be beautiful. I guess we will see right.

Again, thank you!
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Keith A. SpanglerTo Daniel SpanglerYes, all my new friends I appreciate them so much…..
Reply to this comment
8 months ago