Althofen - Vienna to Venice, with a detour through Budapest - CycleBlaze

January 15, 1996

Althofen

For only covering 80 kilometers, this was a very tough day.  We crossed over two passes, one of which was a real killer (2 carat, on our map) that reduced Rachael to pushing her bike for a couple of kilometers.  The first climb, to Packsattel Pass, wasn't really too bad - a fairly gradual 20k climb, with only a few steep stretches.  The day was quite cool, threatening to rain throughout, which helped keep the climb from being too wearing.  From the summit we coasted quickly down to the Levant River and biked up the valley to Bad St Leonard where we had a bakery lunch in the plaza.

Pass number two was a quite different affair, and probably the most difficult climb that Rachael has ever tackled.  The first few miles rose steadily but manageably along a stream - but the last four climbed about two thousand feet, at a steady, 10+ percent grade, with several spots seeming much worse than that.  There were fine views to the east from the top, but they were scant reward for what was a very discouraging experience for Rachael. 

The road down the west side dropped off every bit as steeply, but over a rougher roadbed - and unfortunately ended in a final series of short but again too steep limbs before we finally arrived in Althofen.  (This second pass is Klippitztorl.  Mapping it out now, it looks like we must have done over 7,000' of climbing, which for us is pushing the limits.  Rachael still recalls this as probably the hardest riding day she's endured, but she's a much stronger climber now.)

Althofen is quite a lovely town.  It has a dramatic silhouette, with a keep and a striking church rimming the hill behind the town.  Main street was jammed by a street affair - a series of beer gardens with live music (accordians et al) and outdoor booths.  The sounds of the festival continued late into the night, capped off by a fireworks display.

For dinner, we dropped in at a pizzeria, where we were one of the few indoor customers until a great, sudden cloudburst emptied the streets.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 2
Keith AdamsThat looks quite forbidding and daunting.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsThis was a very difficult day. I sure wish I could have had today’s camera back then!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Today's ride: 48 miles (77 km)
Total: 571 miles (919 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0