To Victoria - Northwest Passages: Victoria to Portland - CycleBlaze

July 19, 2019

To Victoria

Another brief narrative, and briefer than the day deserves.  Today was really special for us: after catching the morning (actually, the only) ferry to Sydney, we were greeted by our personal escorts from there to Victoria, a team of CycleBlaze All Stars: the Classens and the Mathers.  This was completely awesome: a CycleBlaze caravan blasted down the bike path from Sydney to the city, and delivered us right to our doorstep.

Well, not blasted exactly.  We kept a decent pace, but with frequent stops to wait for stragglers who missed the stoplight, or to commune with the hogs, or to cozy up with Farmer John.  It’s great to finally meet up in person with this foursome that we’ve gotten to know through the comment box over the last few years.  Not many photos of the ride itself to share though, because I didn’t want to hold up the caravan, but we did come away with a decent video.

After seeing us safely to the door of our waterfront condo where we’ll be staying for the next three nights, our escorts scattered to mind their own businesses for the next few hours.  Later we reconvened for dinner at a nearby brew pub and enjoyed a lovely evening sitting outdoors and sharing tales of the road.  We’ll be meeting up again tomorrow, when we can look forward to even more mystery guests arriving on the scene.  Stay tuned!

On the dock, waiting for the Sydney sailing.
Heart 3 Comment 0
I was astonished by the number of vintage automobiles on board with us - they were at least half of the load. They’re bound for Victoria to join in Northwest Deuce Days, the annual gathering of 1932 Fords and other fine old cars.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Jacquie GaudetWe saw quite a few waiting for the ferry in Tsawwassen as well. Seems this is quite the event for vintage car buffs.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Approaching Sydney. Somewhere out there are the Mathers and Classens, but I couldn’t spot them with my zoom camera. By the time we were getting close enough, we were ordered to proceed to our vehicles for departure.
Heart 1 Comment 0
They’re here! I’m sure they need no introduction, but left to right: Kathleen, Dave, Anne, Rocky and Keith.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In formation, balanced and standing still for the portrait. Great job, team!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Keith and Rachael cycle on ahead, while the others pick themselves up off the pavement after finally losing their balances.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Pig stop
Heart 2 Comment 0
Some pig (to borrow a quote from Charlotte and E.B. White)!
Heart 5 Comment 1
Chatting up Farmer John
Heart 2 Comment 0
Cap’n Keith issues final orders for the home stretch. No more malingering, Rachael!
Heart 2 Comment 0
So this is quite a step up from the Orca Inn. We could have hosted the whole caravan here with room to spare.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Roddy’s parking spot has a bit more style than usual.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The new Johnston Street Bridge opened its mammoth beak while we were eating. According to Dave, it’s the largest single leaf bascule bridge in Canada.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Bruce LellmanSome bridge!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Image not found :(
With the bridge closed again, the backlogged crowd proceeds across.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We were lucky to see the bridge rise once, but it’s really lucky to see it a second time - with a touch of drama this time. Note the man clinging on to the side, about a fourth of the way up the huge raised leaf. He’s got a nice police escort awaiting him when the bridge lowers again.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 18 miles, 500’; for the tour: 91 miles, 4,200’

Today's ride: 18 miles (29 km)
Total: 92 miles (148 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Kathleen JonesNice to see all those familiar faces in one place.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Suzanne GibsonWhat a fine welcoming committee! But where is the selfie including yourself? Get a little tripod for Rachael's GoPro.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
David MathersAwesome song choice for the video Rachael! That was such a fun ride.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Rachael AndersonTo David MathersThanks. Too bad I came in last place.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago