In Victoria: setting a new CycleBlaze record - Northwest Passages: Victoria to Portland - CycleBlaze

July 20, 2019

In Victoria: setting a new CycleBlaze record

Today’s recorded mileage comes with an asterisk.  Rachael took a thirty mile ride this morning to Esquimault Bay, a route Dave suggested over dinner last night.  I contributed my part to her ride by loading it onto her Garmin so she wouldn’t get lost, and spending the day exploring the city so that she wouldn’t have to - life’s to short to do everything, so we split up duties and specialized today.  It worked quite well for both of us.

Rachael came back with several photos, so there’d be no question about whether she actually went for a ride or just hid out in a coffee shop all day, as others have been known to do.  Her Straggler didn’t make it into the photo, but we’ll take her word for it anyway.

Supporting the local economy
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking south to the Olympics. It was amazingly clear here today.
Heart 4 Comment 0

I loved wandering around Old Town, and immediately fell in love with Victoria.  Bike friendly and beautiful, it definitely deserves more of our time.  We won’t be waiting another fifteen years for a repeat visit, I’m sure.  I took quite a few photos of course, but I’ll save them for tomorrow because I don’t want to distract your attention from the main event for the day - a huge CycleBlaze blowout.  A historically large group of us met for dinner at Keith and Kathleen’s home, enjoying a fantastic spread of BBQ’d ribs, corn on the cob, and assorted sides and beverages.

Until we hear otherwise, we claim the record for the largest CycleBlaze gathering in history.  Present were ten(!) Blazers: the Classens, the Gaudets, the Grampies, the Mathers, and ourselves.  We challenge and encourage others to wrest the title from us, but for now we’re the champs!

It was a delightful evening, sitting around the Classens’ back yard, getting acquainted, trading stories, and attaching 3D images and audio to people we’ve come to feel like we know better than some of our own family over the last several years.  It’s an evening I’m sure we won’t forget, and we feel deeply grateful to everyone that made the time to show up and especially to the Klassens for hosting us.  Thanks so much to everyone who came!

For the record: everyone arrived by bicycle of course: Steve and Dotie biked down from their home to the north, out on a cycling weekend that I expect we’ll hear more of shortly; Jacquie and Al came over from Vancouver on a short tour of their own; Anne and Dave biked over from their home in the same neighborhood, wheeling their doggie hauler behind them filled with hot side dishes; and we biked in from our maison  du moment in old town.

And, surprisingly to us, almost everyone was meeting others for the first time.  Other than The Mathers and Classens (unknowingly near neighbors for years, until they discovered each other through their journals), if I’m remembering correctly I think none of the couples had met any of the others before.   It’s nice that we came up here so these Canadians can finally get acquainted!

We took the long way to the Classens’ home, along the waterfront. day, with a fine view of the North Cascades.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The parties arrived in pairs, gradually filling the yard and cellar with their rides.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The complete set, if you include the man behind the lens. Clockwise, from the left: Keith, Dave, Anne, Dotie, Kathleen, Steve, Jacquie, Rachael, and Al.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Parting is such sweet sorrow. Dotie looks like she’s about to break out in tears.
Heart 4 Comment 0
It ways nearing sundown when we finally broke up. We forgot our lights, but it was fine riding back to town - the bike lane is well-lit, and for much of the way we tailed the bright, flashy Grampies.
Heart 4 Comment 0

And, some photos Steve was kind enough to provide:

The aerial perspective, and a good look at the appetizers.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rachael’s keeping a close eye on me, reminding me that we didn’t bring a designated driver along.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Ron SuchanekThe Mounties probably don’t take kindly to tipsy, swerving cyclists.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Ron SuchanekThat’s a concern alright, but I’m more concerned about the log trucks and campers.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Heart 5 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesI can confirm that none of these were actually drinking (at the time)!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 1
Jen RahnLove that helmet brim!!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
And one last, nearly complete group shot; missing only photographer Keith.
Heart 5 Comment 0

Today's ride: 43 miles (69 km)
Total: 135 miles (217 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 20
Jeff ArnimYou're correct. The previous record-setting gathering was eight!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jeff ArnimI forgot to note that I was breaking a record I helped set. That does seem to merit special notice though. We need to recruit a few more Hostile Actors!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Kathleen ClassenThanks so much to everyone who helped set the record. It was such a great get together!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Gregory Garceau A fun-filled Cycleblazer Jamboree! Excellent. Congratulations to all of the attendees, and I hope to see you all in the next edition of "The Guinness Book of World Records."
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Suzanne GibsonWish I could have joined you! Wonderful that you all could make it happen.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Bruce LellmanFor the CycleBlaze archives: The previous record of 8 attendees was at our house (Lellman/Brown residence in Portland). I believe that Willie Weir and Kat Marriner were also in attendance. Someone as famous as Willie Weir should count for quite a bit but I concede. You guys have broken the CycleBlaze gathering record indeed. Quite a feat.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanThat’s how I remember it also. I corrected Steve, who claimed this was the first CycleBlaze BBQ, but of course yours was earlier by nearly a year. And it had a larger head count, if you include Juniper and Willy’s dog.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Keith KleinHi Scott,
You had a wonderful time and I wish I was there! Well done breaking the record. My greetings to all.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jacquie GaudetAl and I had actually met the Classens in person before--while waiting in Sidney for the ferry to Friday Harbour (almost exactly) five years ag0. It was my Pangea's first tour and a couple of months before their first cycle tour in Europe. Kathleen and I chatted about the Grampies great blogs...
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jen RahnTo Scott AndersonJuniper and Tiva (Willie and Kat's dog) definitely count!

So glad we were able to be part of that gathering, and wish we could have joined the group in Victoria .. really cool to see photos of you all together.

Here's to more CycleBlaze gatherings .. and to the documentation of them!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Ron SuchanekAfter reading this post, I’m starting to think living in a suburban Denver mall is boring...
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnTiva! I could picture their dog - a Formosa Mountain Dog, if I’m remembering correctly - but couldn’t dredge up the name again.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Bruce LellmanIt should also be stated that those early Hostile Actor gatherings occurred directly after the exile of several members of another cycling blog, and at great risk. We were like The People’s Front of Judea (or was it the Judean People’s Front?)*, plotting in secret, never knowing if we would be discovered.

Anyone who gets that rather obscure reference wins ONE MILLION DOLLARS!**

**Not from me, of course. Maybe you’ll win the lottery. Or, I understand Bruce has stumbled upon a rare coin of incredible value....
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Bruce LellmanTo Ron SuchanekThis must have been in Monty Python's Life of Brian.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Ron SuchanekTo Bruce LellmanGot it! Scott, pay the man.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Ron SuchanekSuch a shame we didn’t clear this with the bank first, to set the currency: US, or Canadian? Since that wasn’t established in advance, I’m afraid the offer is null and void. I think a one followed by six zeroes is a bit excessive anyway, but we’ll be happy to chip in an attaboy. One from each of us, actually.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Janet Anspach-RickeyTo Scott AndersonDarn! Missed a great gathering. Still heading West, should be back in the northwest next month after tooling around for a year!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonReally? I thought you two were never coming home again! It would be great to meet up sometime. I’m sure we’ll be up north again before long - we’ve really fallen for the region.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Patrick O'HaraThat is so great you all got together. I have followed all of you! Really wished we could have been there. I feel like I know you all. Next time there is a get together, we'd love to come.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Patrick O'HaraIt would be great to hook up some time. Maybe next year - I’m pretty sure we’re goi g to come back north next July.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago