In Sequim: the lavender loop - Northwest Passages: Victoria to Portland - CycleBlaze

August 4, 2019

In Sequim: the lavender loop

Perhaps we’ve been on the road together too long.

Walking to dinner tonight, as a way to pass the time I began broaching an idea for a tour that I’ve been mulling.  Not yet two sentences into my pitch, Rachael forcefully interjects “B!”.  Hilarious laughter from both of us breaks out immediately, and lasts us until we get two blocks closer to dinner.

The reference is to this short clip shared with us two weeks ago by Keith at the largest CycleBlaze BBQ to date. 

Before that though was the ride.  We’re in Sequim for two nights to allow time for a leisurely ride through its regionally famous lavender fields.  It’s perhaps just a bit of a stretch to market themselves as America’s Provence, but they do put on a good show.  There are about ten lavender fields scattered nearby, leveraging Sequim’s surprisingly mild climate here in the rain shadow of the Olympic Mountains.

We’re here at an excellent time to enjoy the show.  The lavender is in full bloom, and yesterday was the Tour de Lavender, the premier cycling event in the region.  It’s nice to come along on the day after, when the roads aren’t cluttered up with a hoard of other bikers.

We enjoyed a very leisurely day, stopping frequently to admire the fields or the seaside views looking out over Dungeness Bay and its incredibly long spit.  We’re taking it easy while we can, hopefully storing something up for the climb up Hurricane Ridge that looms just two days down the road.  

For lunch we stopped at Jardin du Soleil, hoping that they’d have cold drinks available - we should have gotten an earlier start, and by early afternoon it was getting uncomfortably warm.  There was only one option available - lavender flavored lemonade, offered on a contribution basis by two wholesome looking young girls sitting at a stand in the shade.  We found our own shady spot and enjoyed a nice break, gazing at the colorful display and watching the free range chickens scratch away in the dirt for their midday meal until we were ready to brave the heat again.

Not true. Don’t get your hopes up.
Heart 4 Comment 4
Jen RahnWere it to become true, we'd love to visit you there!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnOh, I imagine the lot is for sale, not that we’d buy it - it looks like yard work would be required. I meant Roddy.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jen RahnOh! Of course you would never sell Roddy!

But if you and Rachael decide that "B" is a nice zero-maintenance place in Port Townsend or Sequim, can we visit? ;0)
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonI think we’ll be getting enjoyment about option B for years to come. Port Townsend is definitely tempting, alright. I could be pretty happy down there looking for otters in the bay before my morning coffee. And of course you’d be welcome.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
The big climb of the day, up the shoulder of Bell Hill (off to the left, outside the frame). Not as bad as it looks - we’ll turn left at the base of the ridge and double back the other side of the hill.
Heart 1 Comment 0
At Purple Haze Lavender Farm, posing in front of a western red cedar. A submission for this month’s Cycle365 challenge, on the theme of ‘Virtual Arboretum’.
Heart 1 Comment 0
At the Purple Haze Lavender Farm
Heart 2 Comment 0
At the Purple Haze Lavender Farm
Heart 1 Comment 0
At the Purple Haze Lavender Farm
Heart 3 Comment 0
Image not found :(
At the Purple Haze Lavender Farm
Heart 1 Comment 0
Double Hollyhock and snail
Heart 2 Comment 0
Theories on what this structure is? It reminds me of the Port Townsend fire tower.
Heart 3 Comment 3
Andrea BrownI've been told that these are old hop-drying towers but I haven't found hard evidence of that yet.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Andrea BrownInteresting suggestion. I don’t think hops are grown here now, but they were in the past - to feed the thirsty crews in Port Townsend during its heyday. I wish now I’d stopped in to ask the owners.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Bruce LellmanThey are indeed hop drying towers. And that's hard evidence.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Another small lavender farm. We've seen several tucked away in the hills here.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Low tide on Dungeness Bay
Heart 1 Comment 0
Near Dungeness Bay
Heart 2 Comment 0
Jardin du Soleil, where we broke for lunch.
Heart 2 Comment 0
At Jardin du Soleil: lavender and dried poppies.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Poppy pods
Heart 5 Comment 0
Subjects in black and white.
Heart 4 Comment 0
At Jardin du Soleil
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Dungeness Bay, with the spit and its lighthouse in the distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A killdeer, Dungeness Bay. I was excited about this - they’re a fairly common bird, but I never see them in time to get a decent photo.
Heart 6 Comment 0
The Dungeness Spit lighthouse
Heart 4 Comment 0
On 3 Crabs Road. Not the most interesting photo, but I just liked the name of the road and wanted to include it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Dungeness Schoolhouse. Now a museum, it was active from 1893 to 1955. At first it had one teacher (who lived in the school) and 63 students, aged 5 to 20. The school operated on a very tight budget - a town council resolution was required to authorize buying the school a bottle of ink.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Andrea BrownSo nothing has changed, then.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Image not found :(
Looking south to the Olympics from Woodcock Road.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Just someone’s wildly colorful front yard.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Video sound track: Nefertiti’s Dream, by Susan Werner

One last time. From top to bottom: the sky, Vancouver Island, the Strait of Juan de Fuca, Dungeness Spit, Dungeness Bay, the ground beneath my feet.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 39 miles, 1,500’; for the tour: 729 miles, 32,900’

Today's ride: 39 miles (63 km)
Total: 717 miles (1,154 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Suzanne Gibson"B"! I love that!!!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Keith ClassenI am very curious as to the proposed tour that resulted in a emphatic “B” response by Rachael.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith ClassenWell, that’s funny too. I was going to propose realigning the dates for a tour we’re considering for next autumn (2020), and she had been planning to bring the same idea up herself. Some might feel a bit sheepish at this, but Rachael doesn’t really do sheepish.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago