Breaking camp - Northwest Passages: Victoria to Portland - CycleBlaze

July 15, 2019

Breaking camp

We’re checking out of our latest Airbnb this morning, as the first step on our journey north to Canada.  Before going there though, let’s check in on mom, whose birthday celebration was cancelled at the last minute because she was scheduled for a medical procedure a few days later and didn’t need the added stress of a family gathering.

So how’s mom doing?  She’s doing great!  Here’s how she looked on her way home from the hospital the day after the procedure:

Heart 3 Comment 4
Jacquie GaudetYou're adopted, right? She certainly doesn't look old enough to have a 72-year-old son.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jacquie GaudetAnd it’s not just me - she has a 76 year old daughter too. You’re half right. Adopted by my step father, but this is my biological mom, alright. Pretty decent shape for a 95 year old, don’t you think?

But maybe you’re mixing me up with our son Shawn, who is adopted.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jacquie GaudetI'm not mixed up. She looks great and could easily pass for much younger! I have an aunt who's the same way and an inspiration to me.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Jen RahnShe looks fantastic!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago

I didn’t describe her condition before, but she was in for a PCI (percutaneous coronary intervention) procedure.  She’s been complaining of progressively worsening shortness of breath in recent months, which apparently was caused by atherosclerosis.  The procedure, which I’d never heard of, is minor and noninvasive - it involves implanting a stent to reopen a clogged vessel after forcing it open by a small balloon.  All inserted intravenously, through the arm. So ingenious, so simple.  

She went home the next day, sounded enthusiastic and back to her normal self on the phone yesterday, and is back to taking her normal daily walks again.  We’ll see her tomorrow when we stop off in Seattle on our way north.

So are we ready for this tour?  There are multiple answers to that, but they’re all yes.  Yes, we’re packed and ready for departure.  Yes, we’re in good (or at least good enough) condition.  And yes, after almost in a month of Airbnb’s that neither of us cared for so much we’re more than ready to be on the road again.

About conditioning: Rachael is definitely ready, and has been cranking out her 40+ mile rides almost on a daily basis for the last three weeks.  I’ve been much more sluggish, enjoying the opportunity to hang out in a more or less torpid state for too much of our stay.  I’ve been riding enough miles though to not lose too much ground, getting in about 200 miles per week.  Since we returned from Dufur last Monday we’ve gotten out for several fast paced training rides together, including a last run to Sauvie Island on Saturday and Helvetia on Sunday.  The 42 mile Helvetia ride in particular is challenging and a good test of our condition, with three sustained climbs and over 4,000’ of climbing.

On Sauvie Island again. It’s a training ride so I didn’t stop for photos, except here when Rachael fell behind to heed nature’s call.
Heart 3 Comment 0
On top of Thompson Road at its junction with Skyline, after a healthy thousand foot climb.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Image not found :(
On Helvetia Road. This is one of our favorite home rides, and it’s always beautiful - especially now, when the wheat is just waiting for the harvest.
Heart 5 Comment 0
It’s another training ride, so hardly any photography. As long as I’m stopped already though, I might as well swivel around for another shot.
Heart 3 Comment 0
And one more. Starting to lose Rachael now though, so three’s the limit.
Heart 4 Comment 0

And, as I said, we’re ready to blow this joint.  We’re both getting antsy to see something new, but as much as anything we’re ready for a change of quarters.  We were pretty enthusiastic about both of the Airbnb’s we had lined up for the past month, but in various ways they both grated on our nerves.  They’ve even gotten us idly musing about getting our own place again some day; but that won’t be happening until we’re ready to be home for most of the year; and that’s not likely to happen as long as my knees hold up and we keep maintaining a backlog of tours we want to take that’s at least several years deep.  In the meantime, we just need to improve on our selection criteria for our in-town stays.

So what was so bad about the place we checked out of this morning?  It’s in a great location in NW Portland, with many attractions just blocks from our door.  And it’s certainly spacious enough and well appointed, with a washer, dryer, and kitchen facilities.  There’s even a very nice, large TV, allowing us to spend the last five days binge watching the entire season 3 of Victoria.

Looks pretty perfect, really. We’re just too picky.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Well, several things.  Number one though is the short but steep and angular stairwell, which is very difficult to negotiate our bikes through.  Mine is worse than Rachael’s because it’s longer, and it works best with four hands on deck.  It’s awkward enough that it’s a real barrier, and we don’t casually take them out.  All week we’ve been counting down the number of times remaining that we have to wrestle the bikes in and out.  I cursed out loud Saturday night when I realized I’d forgotten my glasses at dinner, too far to walk but too close to drive.  Damn - one more trip up and down the stairs!

This really doesn’t look all that bad, does it? Looks are deceiving.
Heart 1 Comment 0

That one’s a serious defect.  The bed isn’t as bad, but still a noticeable annoyance.  Note that it completely fills the alcove it sits in.  That’s an annoyance because there’s no end table on Rachael’s side to set a glass of water on; but it’s a serious annoyance that she can’t get out of bed to go to the bathroom without disturbing the unsightly 170 pound lump between her and the only open edge of the bed.  It’s like being in the middle seat on an airplane, timing your personal needs to those of your sound asleep neighbor.

Image not found :(
Very inconvenient when nature calls and you’re in the window seat. There’s not even room for a bedpan.
Heart 1 Comment 0

So, we checked out this morning; but we aren’t leaving town until tomorrow.  Instead, we’re spending tonight in a cheapo downtown motel, which certainly sounds dumb enough - why not just stay another night in the Airbnb?  This wasn’t the original plan.  We had meant to catch the train to Mount Vernon today and spend tomorrow night in Friday Harbor, the first of a three night stay.  Three weeks ago though we finally got around to getting train tickets and were chagrined to find that we couldn’t reserve bicycle space on any of the Monday departures because they were sold out.  Tuesday was possible, barely: we can get the bikes on the first Portland-to-Seattle run tomorrow morning, and on the last Seattle-to-Mount Vernon run tomorrow night.  Our punishment for not planning ahead further is an inconvenient night in a second rate motel; a lost night on San Juan Island; and a seven hour layover in Seattle.  So, if you plan on taking your bike on Amtrak, plan far ahead.

On the other hand, there’s a very big plus - we’ll be laying over in Seattle long enough to bike over to mom and dad’s place for a good visit tomorrow on our way north.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Jen RahnGlad you'll get to spend time with your parents!

Look forward to reading about (and seeing?) how the visit goes.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Ron SuchanekWe watched Victoria too. I liked seasons 1 and 2 a lot, but felt 3 wasn't as well-written.
And Albert, or more accurately, the actor who plays Albert, is a mumbly, snivelling twit. Here is the most coherent Albert line: "Veektorya, you've messhmbbvfer ffmstshshmfvvbv bejuzmfurgsjnssss uft neinshshshntrbf sornshhhhtriynhhnsh!"
Not sure if it's the actor or director, but that character is a disaster.
But enough about that! Enjoy your journey.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Scott AndersonTest comment, to see if email notification is working.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago