Albury/Jindera to Nunniong Road - High Country Victoria - CycleBlaze

Albury/Jindera to Nunniong Road

6-13 January 2023

Below you will find a description of services for each town that relates to the route and map posted below each bit of text. Each page entry represents a week on the road - it matches the journal I wrote up.

Albury - all services; several bike shops - Comet Bicycles on Dean St has done good work for me. Not a fan of Cycle Station. ALDI, Coles, Woolies supermarkets. Backpacker hostel in a not-so-great location. Average caravan parks. 

Granya- small village. Public toilets available behind the community hall. Water is from a bore so needs to be treated. The pub down the road is not currently open. You can probably camp behind the hall by the public toilets or down the road at the recreation reserve. I always camp in the state park near the Scout Hut. The state park is down Webb Road - there is a drop toilet in the camping area. There is a creek that you can get to by the Scout Hut but the creek may not always be running. This water needs to be treated. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Koetong - if desperate, you can divert to Koetong. The pub there is currently open. It has a facebook page to check offerings and hours. No other services.

Cravensville Road - you can get water from the creek under the road bridge or from the feeder creek just up Stevo Rd (easier access to water here). This is the last water before you climb the ridge and then drop to Dart River, so be sure to fill up.  

Heart 0 Comment 0

Dart River - camping area here has only a picnic table and fire ring. No toilets. From the main camping area, there is a track that can be overgrown at times that leads to another single site.  The river here does not seem to ever dry up.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Staceys Bridge - camping area with drop toilets, trash service. Permanent water in creek here. Good spot to camp at beginning or end of Benambra-Corryong Road, depending on which way you are going. Did not use this campsite on this trip but have camped here on the bike previously. You can also camp near the mouth of the valley at the Nariel Rec Reserve. There is a charge to camp here but it does have toilets.  Colac Colac has a caravan park but nothing else.

Corryong - crappy little town with a very small IGA. Next door to the IGA is a good fruit and veg shop, though, with good veg and lots of it grown by the owners. Next to that is apparently a good coffe shop. The community bakery across the street gets good reviews.  Public toilets, caravan park, couple pubs, couple motels.

(If riding from Dart River to Bullocky Creek, and you don’t want to ride into Corryong, you can cut over about halfway down the valley over Nariel Gap to cut off the kays into Corryong).

Bullocky Creek - camping area has a drop toilet, couple picnic tables, permanently running creek, not a large area.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Wheelers Creek camping area - fire-impacted so not heaps of shade. Drop toilets, communal fire pit by a hut that’s been rebuilt after the 19/20 fires. Creek has permanent water. VERY popular with the 4WD crowd. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Buenba Flats - small formal camping area - no toilets I saw.  Some other informal camping areas nearby shown on Rooftop Maps. Also plenty of camping along the flats on a track across the road from the camping area. 

(Can take off toward Tom Groggin from this camping area).

Heart 0 Comment 0

(From Benambra Gap, you can turn west to go into Benambra. There is a pub and small general store there, nothing else)

Nunniong Road water point - marked on Rooftop maps and does have a small WP sign on the road. There is a small dam here for fire tankers to fill up. I treated water from the creek running into the dam. Not sure if the creek always runs.  There is another water point further down the road where the Bicentennial Trail crosses the road.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 368 km (229 miles)
Total: 368 km (229 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rachael AndersonLooks like a great tour but definitely too much unpaved road for me!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Emily SharpTo Rachael AndersonThanks, Rachel. At this point in life, I love the difficult gravel roads most! No traffic, no people, good views. Many of our 2WD gravel roads are as good as the minor chipseal roads in condition. The 4WD tracks can be hard, going up AND down, but my bike handling and general cycling skills have increased exponentially after all the roads/tracks I tackled on this tour.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago