Whinlatter Pass - From the low country to the highlands and beyond - CycleBlaze

September 7, 2018

Whinlatter Pass

Tour of Britain rolls by

Mention of the Lake District evokes romantic and literary inspiration : existential poets and talking rabbits spring to mind. (That's Mr Wordsworth wandering as lonely as a cloud and Beatrix Potter's colourful carrot thief, if I'm being too obscure.) Of course, it's a major tourist drawcard, with visitors drawn by its beauty as well as its history. This is a roundabout way of stating the obvious: accommodation here is VERY expensive. We decide not to stay on after our two nights, as was the initial plan, but rather to head further south into England's Peak District. But first, Whinlatter.

Jetty on Derwentwater
Heart 1 Comment 0

We're here to ride England's only forest mountain bike park, Whinlatter, at the top of the pass of the same name. What we haven't factored in is the Tour of Britain, which seems to take priority over our riding plans. So the evolving plan is to ride along the western shore of Derwentwater until we reach the road from Keswick that takes us up the pass to the Whinlatter bike park, where today's tour stage ends. So we'll see the end of the stage and the prizegiving ceremony. We'll also be able to scope out the park for a return visit tomorrow.

The lakeside trail is fun. There's a mix of terrain - forest floor, sand, mud - but it's easy, peaceful riding. Once on the road, things quickly become serious. Lots of other spectators are intent on climbing the pass before the Tour riders come through, and it's a good climb, specially on 27 1/2 inch knobbly wheels. A fair bit of lycra zooms by as I slog my way up. I  stop occasionally and pretend to wait for the race while catching my breath. (The stage involves two climbs of Whinlatter, one from each side, allowing spectators enough time to get to the top before the pros do their final climb.)

Then more lycra - all in a big bunch! 

Whoosh!
Heart 0 Comment 0

At the top we fill in time queuing for cups of tea (we're in England now), guarding our bikes and watching out for the race finish.

It's exciting. Kiwi Paddy Bevin pulls on the points jersey on stage and, once the mad rush disperses, we take ourselves back down the hill - much more fun - along the lake and home to Mary Mount for dinner and, soon after, bed.

Lingholm Estate, Keswick, where Beatrix Potter spent many summer holidays - apparently the inspiration for Mr McGregor's garden in The Tale of Peter Rabbit
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 28 km (17 miles)
Total: 428 km (266 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0