Mabie Forest - From the low country to the highlands and beyond - CycleBlaze

August 25, 2018

Mabie Forest

Saturday dawns fine and clear. This is unexpected. Apparently, as in Amsterdam, we have missed the VERY hot weather. A common conversation starter when locals learn what we're doing here is (think Scottish accent), "You shoulda been here a fortnight ago!"

Well, we weren't so will take this fine morning gratefully.  As noted, it's Saturday so parkrun takes priority. I'm like the proverbial toddler in a lolly shop in the UK: so many flavours to choose from! There are eight parkrun venues in all of the South Island of NZ and over 700 in the British Isles, the home of parkrun

The nearest is in Dumfries and unlike in the Southern hemisphere (8am), does not begin until 9.30am. The heat and undulating terrain ensure I don't break any personal records but I'm very happy to have completed it. (A year later, I will cycle into France, just over the border from Switzerland, to finish my 100th parkrun.)

Should've spun the sign around
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

After this diversion, we reach Mabie forest, another 7stanes trailhead, late morning. 

I am reading about Mabie's trails online now as I write this and it seems there is a lot more to it than we remember. I do recall though that I found the uphill grinds challenging, given the heat and my tired legs, and the forestry roads less than inspiring. If I had let Tour Leader find his own rhythm, he'd have made more of the opportunity, I'm sure. Not quite 10 km is a less than respectable distance but we have much more riding to do on this trip. Let's go exploring!

We drive out to Carsethorn, a village on the the tidal Carse Gut (lake) which looks out onto the Solway. This was once a thriving port - over 20,000 emigrants left from here for a better life in the New World. After the railway arrived in Dumfries in 1850, though, seaborne traffic tailed off. Carsethorn's best known attraction now, according to the Kirkbean parish website, is The Steamboat Inn. We can attest to this. It's a lovely old building, nautically themed, and with the requisite 19th century humour - see pic below. And our meal is delicious.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Spotted leaning outside the Steamboat
Heart 1 Comment 0

We're happy with the way our trip is unfolding so far. Talking to locals has given us ideas for future rides, possibly away from the 7stanes. We will see what tomorrow brings . . .

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 9 km (6 miles)
Total: 171 km (106 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0