Loch Oich ride - From the low country to the highlands and beyond - CycleBlaze

September 3, 2018

Loch Oich ride

Inverness is as far north as we end up exploring. Today, we're travelling south-west again, this time to tiny Ballachulish just south of Glencoe, via Loch Ness and Loch Oich. 

Urquhart Castle is a hard-to-miss stopping point on the shore of Loch Ness. Built in 1509, its visitor-friendly ruins are a delight to stroll around. (If I were a hard-core Outlander fan, I'd be in seventh heaven on this trip. Inverness, Urquhart castle and dozens of other ancient ruins were  locations for the TV series. Mind you, living in NZ you become used to living on a film set - Lord of the Rings locations are around every corner!)

Stunning views of Loch Ness from Urquhart Castle
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Just south of the more famous Loch Ness lies the placid wee Loch Oich. We stop here to ride the rail trail along its eastern shore from Aberchalder to North Laggan. Once we reach the Forestry Commission carpark at the lake's southern end, it's a matter of turning around and riding back to the van. It's a straightforward ride, as you'd expect on a rail trail, and also forms part of the longer Great Glen Way.

That's enough excitement for today. Tomorrow will be a whole different kettle of fish.

Northern end of Loch Oich
Heart 1 Comment 0
Beach walk at tonight's destination, Ballachulish
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 14 km (9 miles)
Total: 352 km (219 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0