Forest of Ae - From the low country to the highlands and beyond - CycleBlaze

August 24, 2018

Forest of Ae

The plan for a mountain-biking tour of Scotland grew from reading about the 7stanes trails - a network of bike trails developed in conjunction with Scotland's Forestry Commission. Further reading and watching of YouTube clips consolidated the plan. We would take our bikes. We would need transport and accommodation. The availability of inexpensive one-way van hire (pick-up Newcastle, drop-off London) was key. After booking this, things fell into place easily. Amsterdam was added on and the ferry and first accommodation in Scotland were locked in.

Here we are now, bikes assembled, protective gear on, ready to tackle our first bike park, in the rain (it's Scotland). There is a pleasing start however: we arrive to find a café in the carpark. (This continues throughout our travels in the UK: forest parks, castles, rail trails, Roman ruins ...they're all served by a café/gift shop, thankfully!)

After coffee and scones, there's no excuse to dilly-dally further. We spend a happy couple of hours riding a mix of forest roads and single-track trails and emerge soaked through to the skin - protective gear was more to save skin than to keep dry, obviously.

Entrance to Ae
Heart 1 Comment 0
A view I became increasingly familiar with ... the flying silver fern
Heart 0 Comment 0

This first ride is a morale-booster for me. I'm not a confident or particularly skilled mountain-bike rider but there is nothing in these trails to really challenge me.

We are an hour's drive from our apartment, where a shower, warm, dry clothing and lunch beckon. And we have tomorrow's ride to plan.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 20 km (12 miles)
Total: 162 km (101 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0