Ackknowledgements - The Gut, the Bent, and the Ugly - CycleBlaze

Ackknowledgements

Big thanks go to the guys at Adventure Sports in Frostburg, Maryland who went way beyond the call of duty to save my trip. The wheel they built is sound after 670 miles of loaded riding. The cost of the wheel build was truly reasonable, and they even found me inexpensive lodging two doors up the street from their shop. I wish them great success as they launch their new shop and adjacent sports bar.

Thanks also go to Nathan at Volpatti's bike shop in Washington, PA. Nate did thorough work for a very reasonable price and was an engaging conversationalist as well.

The townspeople of Monroeville, Indiana were great, every last one of them. Jennifer and Matt at the shelter, the waitress at the Town Cafe, the clerk and her daughter at the grocery, and the entertaining staff at the Whippy Dip. They made this grimy traveler feel welcome and safe.

Special thanks are due to Lois Ternet, the reporter for the Monroeville town newspaper. After we talked, she lost my address. She tracked me down weeks later and sent me a copy of the story she wrote about me.

There were many people along the way who made the trip more than a bike ride: the staff at Whites Ferry cafe, the Leprecahn, the folks at the Harpers Ferry Hostel, the staff at Betty's in Shepardstown, West Virginia, the Canadian bike tourists near Antietam, Maryland, the railroad worker in Paw Paw, West Virginia, the couple o retirees riding bikes on the GAP trail, the helpful passerby at the Post Office in Washington, Pennsylvania, the bicyclists in Johnstown, Ohio, and the many others who gave information and advice.

And, of course, the biggest thanks go to my wife Ginny Mayes and my kids Eamonn and Lily Pickett who held down the fort without complaint while Dad did his crazy thing.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0