A Note about US 2 on the UP - A UP Bike Tour - CycleBlaze

A Note about US 2 on the UP

I have heard that bike tourists have worries about riding US 2 in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I found to be reasonably safe. There are rumble strips down the middle of the highway as well as along the left edge of the ample paved shoulder. When a vehicle hits these strips you can help but hear it. (If you are deaf, you'd almost certainly fell the vibration.) 

Another oddity was the amount of air wake on vehicles. Long tractor trailers, especially those with wind baffles behind the cab and beneath the trailer, make little noise when in the main travel lanes. They also leave surprisingly small air wakes.

The violent storms that passed through resulted in an unusual number of utility trucks. These vehicles have irregular contours and make quite a ruckus as they pass by. Their wakes are also surprisingly big.

Except for the few pinch points near Rapid River, I found US 2 to be reasonably safe to ride. Your mileage may vary.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Mike AylingA new bike - a bike is a bit like Grandfathers axe, as long as you don't damage your frame and it doesn't rust out you just keep replacing tyres, tubes, shift and brake cables and brake pads and of course chains.
I guess that you are running seven or eight speeds. The new 11/12 speeds shift nicely when they come out of the shop but those narrower chains are usually more expensive and do not last as long. Then everyone thinks they have to have disc brakes. Rim brakes still work fine for me.
But if you decide to get a new bike have a look at a Rohloff IGH - see my post in the forums. (And replace pedals in your case!)

Mike
Reply to this comment
3 years ago