The Trails and the Plan - Grampies Go Unhinged Summer 2017 - CycleBlaze

July 23, 2017

The Trails and the Plan

Idaho is a U.S. state that is found in the north west corner of the country. Despite this position, ecologically it is not part of the rainy, cedar and fir covered coastal region. Rather it is drier, and more part of the Rocky Mountains ecology. The state is probably most famous for potatoes, and it is true that it accounts for about 1/3 of national potato production. But that is in the south of the state. Right now we are most concerned with a finger, or "Panhandle" that sticks up to the Canadian border. The Panhandle has lakes and pine forests but little in terms of agriculture.

One thing the Panhandle did have was mining. In fact it is one of the top ten mining districts in world history. Although there was some gold, the main thing was silver. In the 1970's the area produced half of all U.S. silver. There were dozens and dozens of mines, with rail lines running through to carry the ore to processing.

It is those rail lines that now, with mining mostly shut down, make this a Mecca for cyclists. Not only have the rail lines been converted to cycle ways, but they are superior ways, due to one unfortunate fact. The rail lines were built on beds of mine tailings, and those tailings contained hazardous chemicals. So now they need to be sealed, and the sealant is mega cycle friendly asphalt!

Heart 0 Comment 0

The main trail in the area is the Trail of the Coeur d'Alene, which takes its name from the nearby town and especially the large lake Coeur d'Alene on the western side. The trail winds near the big lake and through a region of smaller ponds until it arrives at the Interstate highway, I-90. Then the trail parallels the highway through a string of former mining towns, until it climbs Lookout Pass and pretty much ends there, at the Montana border.

The trail runs through the Silver Valley, first in lake country and then along the big highway.
Heart 0 Comment 0

If you can make out the above map, you will see the chain of towns - Cataldo, Pinehurst, Smelterville, Kellogg, Osburn, Wallace, Mullan, and Taft. These will form our stomping ground for this trip.

The plan is to go straight to Kellogg, which is in the middle of the chain. Kellogg has a big plus - a resort with an indoor water park! We will give that a try right away. From there we will cycle first west, toward Cataldo, and then east, toward Wallace. This is back and forth on the Trail of the Coeur d'Alene. Finally we will drive up Lookout Pass (on the extreme eastern side of the map) and cycle the Route of the Hiawatha.

While most of the main trail is essentially flat, the Hiawatha starts up Lookout Pass and heads down, as much as a rail trail can run on a slope. The trains took advantage of a series of tunnels and trestles to traverse the area, and these provide a lot of the fun now for the cycle ride. It begins with the 2.7 km Taft Tunnel, for which we will need full headlights and flashers, and continues through nine other tunnels and seven trestles. We expect the Hiawatha to be the highlight of the trip.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0