Kellogg to Cataldo (and back) - Grampies Go Unhinged Summer 2017 - CycleBlaze

August 7, 2017

Kellogg to Cataldo (and back)

We avoided paying $40-50 for breakfast by eating leftovers. Actually a hamburger bun run through the toaster and with jam added is pretty good. So is cold macaroni and cheese - if you are a kid!

Yummy breakfast. (Note: kids have launched an objection to this description!)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many trucks, vans, jeeps are stored in this area. Perhaps the hot dry climate is part of it.
Heart 1 Comment 0

It really is hard to beat the Trail of the Coeur d'Alene. The surface is perfectly smooth, and flat, and it runs (in this section) beside a river and through pine forest.

Many times in Europe we have found ourselves in wilderness like areas, but even in these you have the impression that people and towns are not far away, while animals are basically lacking. But here on the trail you have the impression that people are lacking and that animals and empty mountains are not far away. It is peaceful, park like, really a joy.

The beautiful trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
River and forest - so peaceful.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We often get photos of the twins contemplating something together.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A chipmunk visitor. In another spot, one chipmunk ran out almost under Avi's wheels. It dashed back, but right away another one tried it too. Avi missed it by mere centimetres!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Retired horses
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Ponderosa pines
Heart 0 Comment 0

Quite quickly after we left Kellogg heading west we came upon a cow moose, munching saplings under a bridge. We stood on the bridge and watched as she munched her way underneath and came out the other side.

Looking down at the moose.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The moose, right below us from the bridge
Heart 1 Comment 0
We could not see her at first, but she ate away all the covering saplings!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Despite having just one speed bikes the kids seemed able to either zip along at quite a clip, or to dawdle behind the Grampies. It was clear that they would be capable of 60-80 km days either right now or with a bit of hardening of their little butts.

In no time we had reached Cataldo, which had been a goal if possible. But now we shot on past, looking for a reasonable bit of exercise before turning back.

We found a fairly shaded table and ate the lunch stuff we had brought along. It was all packaged juices, granola bars, apple sauce, and the like. Such things are pretty much the only option, with the temperature easily over 40 degrees!

Lunch! If you look closely you can see that this junque came from Canada!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We did turn back quite soon, because after Cataldo there is little but lakes and trees for about 30 km. In turning back we could go for a hike in Walmart in Smelterville. Walmart allowed us to replenish our stocks of shelf stable but low quality foods. We know it is what we will need in the next days.

We returned to Kellogg in the early afternoon. It had been a really easy ride for the kids, boosting our confidence that we can take them on much longer and tougher rides.

We dumped the kids in the pool for the next approximately 4 hours. That is about how long it took to be able to say they had a full day of activity. We will find supper early and hope for an early bedtime. That way we may do a super early start tomorrow and pedal more in whatever cool air is available. The temperature today was nudging 50, which is pretty extreme!

Wallace, here we come!

It got even hotter than this!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 43 km (27 miles)
Total: 51 km (32 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0