To Rochester - Three Seasons Around France: Summer - CycleBlaze

June 20, 2022

To Rochester

We had an excellent first week in England but today, the first day of our second week, was something different and left us wondering if the honeymoon period was already over so soon.  It was only a 35 mile ride today, and not a particularly difficult one at that.  By the time we arrived in Rochester though we were both pretty well spent and happy to see the end of it.

So what changed?  The quality of the riding conditions primarily.  We had too many miles on busy, noisy arterials, stuck on sidewalks to avoid competing with the fast moving traffic on unshouldered roads.  For about fifteen miles it seemed like we were navigating through towns and suburbs, stopping constantly to wait for lights or to work our way to the other side of the street where the bikeable sidewalk had shifted to.  Hard on the nerves, hard on the patience.

In some ways it was our fault because we mapped our own route through the first half of the ride rather than just following Route 1 of the national cycle network.  We did this because our route was probably five miles shorter, and much of this section of the cycle route was listed as unpaved.

For the last half of the ride we rejoined Cycle Route 1 and found generally much quieter conditions, but at a cost: miles of unpaved, rough surfaces that tested patience already worn thin even further.   And we didn’t care much for the last few miles into Rochester either - more traffic, more sidewalk riding, more stress.  Hopefully this isn’t a trend, but I’m thinking it might just reflect the fact that we’re so close to London here and we’re running into considerable urban congestion.

Still, even a subpar day has its moments:

I’ve never seen a field of flax so completely in bloom before. It’s as dramatic as lavender, especially against that sky.
Heart 12 Comment 1
From the modest high point of the day, looking north toward the mouth of the Medway.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another beautiful little thatched roof structure. The house is pretty nice too.
Heart 5 Comment 0
I’ll stop taking oast shots soon, but I haven’t quite had my fill yet.
Heart 6 Comment 0
So what species of maple is red on the underside of its leaves? I don’t remember seeing this before.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Bruce LellmanIt's a maple but in Britain it's called a purple sycamore. It's not native but because it's been in Britain for hundreds of years it has become naturalized. I've seen these in Portland too. The leaves are interesting in that the underside color has quite a range of reds and purples. And the top side of the leaves is a deep, rich, darker green than other maples. https://henriettapark.org/658-2/
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanThanks, Bruce. I hoped someone would step up. I wondered if it was natural or maybe even unhealthy in some way. Interesting that most of the references fail to point out that it’s actually a maple.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The National Cycle Network presents us with a great variety of riding situations. This is another of those narrow paths where in spots you’re scrunching in to avoid brushing up against nettles on both sides. Not ideal.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Uh, oh. Do British horses expect apples too?
Heart 1 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesSugar lumps! Not as heavy and don't spoil, but your pocket gets very messy.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
One of the prettier stretches of the ride. Rough, but at least we’re not dodging traffic.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Let’s ignore how weary and pained this poor biker looks and focus on the blue thing on the left. It’s another of those commemorative milestones, but I know more about them now. They’re called Millenium Milestones, because they were erected in 2000. And there’s an ongoing campaign to repaint them - there’s a website that locates all 1000 and identifies which need repainting in case some volunteer group wants to adopt one. This one has been redone, but others we’ve seen are in poor condition. Also, there are four designs. This version is the Fossil Tree, designed by Jon Mills. “ The post takes the form of an abstract tree with relief imagery of fossils depicting the passage of time from early primitive creatures to the ultimate demise of fossil fuel-driven technology.”. I’ll keep my eye out for the other designs in the coming weeks.
Heart 2 Comment 0
An interesting design for a barrier to restrict users of the trail, but not one we favored. After about the tenth time of dismounting, squeezing through and readjusting the mirror it gets old.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Bruce LellmanBut way better than the thing being narrow at the bottom and wide at the top!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanWell, yes. You make a good point. We did note that appreciatively. We’ve definitely seen worse.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Looking across the mouth of the River Medway. At first I thought we were seeing the Thames here, but it’s just a bit further off. The two come to sea at the same spot.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking across the mouth of the River Medway. That’s Port Victoria across the water. The Thames is another three or four miles beyond it.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Any idea what these rusty vessels are? There are quite a few of them rusting away on the mud flats.
Heart 2 Comment 5
Keith AdamsPerhaps they are leftover prototypes from the British experiments to create artificial harbors on/after D-Day? I know they tried several designs, all of which involved basically chaining / cabling a bunch of floating objects together end-to-end and deliberately bottoming them to create calmer/slack water inside the enclosed space. Gaps at specific points made entrances and exits to the protected area.

That's only a guess, of course, and I'm probably wrong.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsInteresting idea. They could easily be that old, and they have an institutional look. They look like pontoon boats to me.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Scott AndersonThey might also be disused fuel barges, dating from the WW II era. I found a couple (non-authoritative) references to "concrete fuel barges" littering the banks of the mouth of the Medway. They show up very clearly in Google Maps aerial view:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/River+Medway/@51.3942193,0.5698076,142m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x47df35fa0f3f5545:0x954645d0456cb547!8m2!3d51.2625867!4d0.348775

If that's what they are then there's ample precedent. The "Ghost Fleet of Mallows Bay" on the Chesapeake is an example: about 100 WW I era wooden-hulled steamers were scuttled at the end of the war, having never even seen active service because the war ended before they could be put to use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mallows_Bay#Ghost_fleet

A few more photos and an article can be found here:
https://savingplaces.org/places/ghost-fleet#.YrH5F0bMK70

and also here:
https://sometimes-interesting.com/ghost-fleet-of-mallows-bay/
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsTo Scott AndersonA bit more digging found a good photo, and further supports the claim that these are ferro-concrete hulled fuel barges from WW II:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hamishfenton/9576708919

and the Imperial War Museum has a page about such vessels.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30018296

The ones I see in Google Maps, as well as the photo you posted, certainly seem to follow the IWM pattern.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsGreat job! It looks to me like this is the same set as in that Flickr photo.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Video sound track: Westward Passage, by Bud Shank

And we didn’t really care for Rochester itself at first, which struck us is gritty, dirty and industrial until we turned onto Main Street at the very end and we’re surprised to find how colorful and attractive it is.  It was surprising to go one block over and have the character of the place seem so different.

We stayed in our lodging until dinner, a fine Italian meal at a popular restaurant just down the street, but then went straight back to the room again afterwards.  Almost too late, I looked at the map and was reminded of why I thought Rochester would be a decent overnight stay.  At the other end of town, just a few blocks from the Italian restaurant, is the waterfront - Rochester is a historical port town on the River Medway.  There’s a waterfront park and promenade, and above that stand Rochester Castle and Rochester Cathedral, surrounded by their parklike grounds and garden.  I grabbed the camera and hustled down to the waterfront, arriving just in time before we started losing the light. 

High Street, Rochester.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonA quarter to ten!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonOh, you’re right. I hadn’t even noticed. We’re getting a lot of daylight hours for our buck over here.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Some tall chimneys, Rochester.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Bruce LellmanI think Britain is the chimney capital of the world!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Bruce LellmanI wonder if it’s a heritage of their use of coal for home heating. Good strategy to push it higher into the air so it gasses their neighbors instead.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The cathedral and castle.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Rochester Castle.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rochester Castle.
Heart 5 Comment 0
A horse chestnut, and another look at the castle.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Rochester Cathedral.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 35 miles, 1,800’; for the tour: 187 miles, 8,900’

Today's ride: 35 miles (56 km)
Total: 187 miles (301 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 13
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Steve Miller/GrampiesWe found road riding in England totally nerve fraying, and riding in London made us frantic. The NCN routes were at least safer, although the surfaces were highly variable. This was 10 or so years ago and we had hoped things had improved, but maybe not?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Suzanne GibsonWhat an awful day! Hope better riding is coming up soon. But I know you two are problem solvers and will come up with a good plan to get to terrain that's more suitable for cycling if things don't improve. I've got my fingers crossed!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonOh, it wasn’t awful by any standard. I must have made it sound worse than it was. We’ve just gotten very spoiled and like to whine.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesHopefully yesterday was an exception, but we’ll see. This is as close as we’ll get to London so we should start seeing more open country again soon. You’re right about the variability of the NCN routes though. And I doubt that it’s changed much since you were here, other than to be made poorer by the stupidity of the Brexit decision. We’re not seeing any of the signs of new cycling infrastructure investment like you see elsewhere in Western Europe.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rich FrasierHere's hoping for better days ahead. In my limited experience, the closer you are to London, the more difficult cycling is. So as you head north, I would expect things to improve. Beautiful pictures, as usual!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago