To Richmond - Three Seasons Around France: Summer - CycleBlaze

July 15, 2022

To Richmond

After a string of challenging days our aching bodies are happy to be having an easier time of it today.  We’re out of the high moors now and have a fairly gentle ride west from here to our next stay in Richmond.  Only one concern: the weather.  We’ve been watching the forecasts for this day for the last several, and this morning is the best it looks.  It’s lightly raining when we wake up and showers are on tap off and on all day, but there’s a break of a few hours expected later in the morning; and at the other end it looks to be dry by the time we arrive.

So we plan our ride to fit through this dry window and it’s dry by the time we leave about ten.  Five minutes later, before we have even left town, some light showers begin.

It’s lightly sprinkling on us and the River Leven as we leave Great Ayton.
Heart 1 Comment 0

It’s that kind of day.  Showers cease almost as soon as they begin, and the sky looks brighter to the west.  We have the happy feeling that we’re biking into better weather, but after awhile something approaching actual rain comes just as we’re passing a church with a covered gateway just large enough for two bikes and two bikers to shelter in.  The rain passes, we bike on.  Miles later showers return and we stop for lunch sitting on benches in the entryway of another church.  It stops, we bike on.

And so it goes.  We make it to Richmond basically dry not long before three and are greeted by our host Sarah who hands over the keys and shows us around the lovely apartment we’ll be staying at for the next three nights and then rushes off to pick up her kids from school.  Rachael heads off to the store to provision us for the stay, the laundry magically gets done, and we head off to Rustique for a fine French meal.  Italian tomorrow, something eclectic at Elixer on the next.  We’re ready - we’re both happy to be settling in for a few days.

We’re planning on a pretty arrow-like ride today with few stops, hoping to stay mostly dry. Did you hear that, Team Photographer? Check.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Few doesn’t mean zero though. The light shower has stopped for now so there’s time to fit in a last look up at the North York Moors.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Still dry, making good time, have to stop for this newly mown golden field.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Stopped anyway, let’s have a side view.
Heart 4 Comment 0
And there’s plenty of time for this one to remember how lucky we were to come to this covered churchyard gate just as the rains came.
Heart 4 Comment 0
After passing a few of these numerous high-center warnings, I take one as Rachael crosses the tracks.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The photo stop costs me though. The bars come down almost the instance she passed them, and less than a minute later the Trans-Pennine Express races through.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The bars up again after, I stop to look down the tracks and am struck by the gloomy clouds. I rush off a quick pic when the gate operator hollers at me to get off the tracks before I get myself killed. So I do.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It looks like we could get wet still, and we do - but nothing serious enough to cause us to stop again.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It’s not all gloomy though. The weather is gradually improving as we move west. By the end of the day the sun will be out in force again.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Crossing the River Swale.
Heart 3 Comment 0
From our crossing, looking up the Swale at the Catterick Bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the Richmond Marketplace, the heart of town. On the left is the Richmond Obelisk, and on the right is the old Trinity Church, now the home of Green Howard’s Regimental Museum.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Guidance at the center of the world.
Heart 3 Comment 0
You can find your inner peace no matter how humble your lot in life.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The castle grounds are only open from 10 to 6, so for now I’ll just take a peek through the locked gate.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our home for the next three nights: Number 5 Castle Road, the second white door on the left. We can see just the top of the castle from our upper window, most of it hidden behind that obnoxious view blocker across the street.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 35 miles, 1,500’; for the tour: 1,040 miles, 43,200’

Today's ride: 35 miles (56 km)
Total: 1,040 miles (1,674 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Steve Miller/GrampiesWe keep seeing weather warnings for Europe, including the Yorkshire area, that keep talking about extreme heat warnings, wildfires, etc. Maybe a slightly rainy day is not a bad thing if it keeps the temperatures under some control.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesYou’re right - it was really refreshing. The real heat hasn’t come yet but we do have a few bad days ahead, one due to hit 95 that we’ll likely sit out. After that it looks like things will quickly drop down again though. We’re lucky we’re so far north.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Graham FinchThere's a Mountain Warehouse store where you are - they may have those T-shirts in stock:

11/12 Market Place
Richmond
DL10 4PX
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Graham FinchThanks.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago