To Pickering - Three Seasons Around France: Summer - CycleBlaze

July 11, 2022

To Pickering

We have no real right to complain about the heat - we know how terrible, even dire, it is in many other places in the world this summer, including just across the water in continental Europe.  Still, a forecast high of 85 today is high enough that we aren’t enthusiastic about it.  We were pleased and grateful when our host at Crab Pot Cottage willingly agreed to serve us up breakfast at 7 this morning so we could get a jump on the ride before the day heated up.

We’re on the road by 9, biking inland and gradually uphill into the Yorkshire Dales, enjoying the same lovely country we passed through two days ago on our ride to Flamborough.  We’ve seen the likes of this country already, but still it seems like I should stop for a photo or two just for the memories.  As soon as I do Rachael continues on, muttering something about being determined to reach Pickering before it gets too hot.  I won’t see her for another twenty miles.

Back into the Yorkshire Wolds.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Here’s when I lost her for the next hour and a half, when I held back to zoom in on her as she crested this steep little hill.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Oh, wait. I haven’t completely lost her yet. I can still zoom in on her until she rounds the next corner. That’ll be it though.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Huh. I don’t know where this is. Just a white house I liked in some village or other.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Those Wolds.
Heart 2 Comment 0
These Wolds are like those Wolds - moderately rolling, enough to keep things interesting and earn some views.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The one sustained climb of the day - climbing about four hundred feet in a few miles at a few percent.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Which we proceed lo lose precipitously, too steeply to enjoy the reward.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The circus is in town.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The best kind.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another pointless down and up. Couldn’t they just throw a viaduct through here?
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith AdamsI have that same reaction sometimes.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The Derwent.
Heart 3 Comment 0

I’ve about concluded that I’ll just catch up with Rachael at our hotel in Pickering when unexpectedly I see on the Garmin that she’s stopped ahead and then that she’s coming my way.  She’s coming back to inform me that there’s a problem with the mapped route and it’s trying to guide us across someone’s private paradise again.  Instead she leads me through the detour route.

After that we bike together the remaining miles to Pickering.  We’re doing well for time and on track to arrive before one when we come to Thornton Dale, a very attractive little village that makes us wonder whether we shouldn’t have stayed here instead.  At the least though we can take a break and sit in the shade in the town square while Rachael acts like every other local we see around us and walks across the street to a shop and returns with a current scone for me and a dish of ice cream for herself.

We arrive at the Black Swan around one thirty.  Our room won’t be ready for another half hour so we sit in the bar and cool off with bottles of water while we wait for our room to become available and for the bar to open up so I can move on to something more nourishing.

After that we do our best to keep cool in our sweltering second floor un-AC room.  By now it’s moved beyond warm and there’s not a whiff of a breeze to help cool our room down.  By the time lights go out it’s still unpleasantly warm and we lie around sans covers and clothing until we’re finally drowsy enough to doze off.

Worth a stop, even when we’re in a hurry.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Saint George’s Church, Wilton. The stone fence reminds me of one’s we see in France.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A last climb before Pickering, not as fearsome as it looked.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A beautiful lane and creek, in Thornton Dale. Why aren’t we staying here, Rachael would like to know.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Beckside Isle Cottage, a listed historical thatched roof structure from the 17th century.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 36 miles, 1,400’; for the tour: 907 miles, 34,500’

Today's ride: 36 miles (58 km)
Total: 906 miles (1,458 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
David MathersAnne and I travelled through this area in 2008 when we did our Coast to Coast hike from St Bees to Robins Hood Bay. We loved everything about it and maybe one day will return. Thanks for bringing back the memories.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo David MathersThat must have been an exceptional walk. We biked up into the North York Moors today and we’re completely blown away.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago