To Knucklas - Three Seasons Around France: Summer - CycleBlaze

August 12, 2022

To Knucklas

Team Anderson is happy to report a day with no good stories to pass on.  We’ve had quite enough good story material to last us awhile and are ready for a string of uneventful days with no drama.

We’d also like the heat wave to pass.  And while we’re at it, could we please have a day without any 15+% slopes to climb too?  Is that too much to ask?  Apparently.  We’ll take what we can get though.  Dull is better.

I was surprised to look out the window and see a market setting up in the square below us. Yesterday was the farmer’s market, but this looks like the main event.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We’re glad we’ve scheduled a short ride for ourselves for today because of the heat.  Best would be to hit the road early but our room won’t be available until two and there’s nowhere else to hang out in Knucklas, the hamlet at the end we’ve booked a room in.  We compromise, waiting around until nine to leave.  We’ll stop in a cafe in Knighton, four miles from the end of the ride, and hole up in a cafe there until moving on to our room.

As we leave, Rachael observes that the door doesn’t close all the way when she leaves and she has to pull it shut.  Why didn’t that happen yesterday, when it would have saved the day for us?

Nine AM, Friday Morning. The market is in full swing and we’re serenaded by a country western singer as we leave our room.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Keith AdamsC&W in a British accent? That must've been quite something to hear.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsExactly. It was the real thing though, except for the accent. Great to wake up to - he was right below our window.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
This is the kind of fair we could have used yesterday. I’ll bet there are flip flops available at one of these stands.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I was wrong in yesterday’s post. THIS is the real Broadgate, the last of the city’s original seven gates.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Leaving Ludlow, crossing the River Teme over the Ludford Bridge. It was the site of an important confrontation in the War of the Roses in 1459, culminating when the Lancastrians “proceeded to plunder Ludlow, becoming drunk on looted wine and committing many outrages.”
Heart 5 Comment 0
The River Teme. The river was a busy place when we biked in two days ago, full of waders, floaters and boaters. I should have stopped for a photo then but we were too hot and tired.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Climbing away from the Teme we get an indicator of the day ahead - it will be a short ride today, but not a flat one.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Bob KoreisNothing like a short climb before you are warmed up. Makes it difficult to enjoy the scenery.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
A last look back at Ludlow. The castle on the left, Saint Laurence’s Church on the right.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Between the heat and the hills our interest in looking around has dimmed and we just want to get to the other end. This topiary hedge in Elton is worth a stop though.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Saint Mary’s Church, Elton.
Heart 6 Comment 0
At least the worst climbing of the day came with shade, which was most welcome.
Heart 7 Comment 0
On top, after the final climb of the day. Narrow road, an occasional car or truck that took the entire lane, forcing one to get off to give way at the steepest spot. The usual scenario we’re pretty familiar with by now.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Rich FrasierWhat happens when 2 cars meet?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Rich FrasierThere are occasional pullouts barely wide enough to permit passing. With luck, someone sees the oncoming vehicle in time to stop at the nearest pullout and wait. This commonly also happens with bikes too - when there’s time and space, cars usually wait for us. They’re normally quite considerate.

When they don’t spot each other in a timely fashion, someone backs up.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steeply dropping to the River Teme again, which here forms part of the border between England and Wales. A lunch stop at JD’s Cafe in Knighton is just ahead. Exciting!
Heart 6 Comment 0
The Teme Valley, Wales on one side and England the other. I forget which is which in this photo.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Video sound track: Drift Into a Dream, by Fin Moon

We lock our bikes up on the sidewalk outside JD’s Cafe and sit down to a passable lunch.  I have a cheese and mushroom omelet and a pint of milk, Rachael has a grilled cheese sandwich.  We both have a side salad, which Rachael eats both of.  She picks at her uninspiring sandwich a bit and then stuffs it in a baggie to take away for later and heads next door for a Magnum white chocolate ice cream bar which she eats there in the store.  She returns with the frustrating observation that there’s a much better looking cafe across the street, the Black Sheep, that has a really good set of ice cream treats available.  Probably has Black Sheep ale too, but Rachael points out that it wouldn’t be the best plan on a 90 degree day with another four miles ahead. 

We make it to our room at 2, happy to find out that we can get in already. Also happy to find that the owner will pour me a pint in about a half hour after he wraps up his morning chores and closes shop until the inn opens for dinner.  We shower and then head down to a shaded table for my pint and a bottle of sparkling water on ice for Rachael.  There’s a bit of breeze, and it’s almost pleasant.

Therapeutic.
Heart 7 Comment 0

We could take a walk afterwards, but it’s too hot and there’s nothing compelling nearby anyway.  So we retire to the room until dinner and strip down to cool off as best we can because there’s no fan in the room to help out.

We’re down to dinner at six for the usual array of pub options.  Rachael has a dish she likes - salmon with little red shrimps, a creamy sauce, mashed potatoes and peas.  I decide it’s time to experiment with another of the typical dishes Britain is world famous for.  I’ve done the black pudding (once), and the fish and chips (once).  Now it’s time to try the steak and ale pie.

So that’s done.  Check another one off the list.

Another reason to like Ludlow.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 24 miles, 2,600’; for the tour: 1,775 miles, 101,200’

Today's ride: 24 miles (39 km)
Total: 1,774 miles (2,855 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 15
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Suzanne GibsonThose hotel rooms can be really hot. In Germany, and I imagine in the UK as well, they didn't build for this kind of heat and there is seldom air conditioning. How about some rain for a change!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonThat’s in the forecast but it doesn’t look too serious. Much better than the heat!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Graham FinchSteak and Ale pie... I miss it, especially the gravy, which you cant's find here.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Graham FinchI’m sure that was the problem. Too little ale, and not enough gravy.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago