In Whitby: The Queen’s Relay - Three Seasons Around France: Summer - CycleBlaze

July 13, 2022

In Whitby: The Queen’s Relay

We’re taking things out of order here, because after a very full day Rachael crashed before completing her video.  We’ll wait for that before posting the ride that brung us here, but in the meantime let’s look at Whitby itself.

After dinner we decided we had just enough energy to walk up to the abbey, the sight of which so inspired us when we biked into town.  It was confusing getting up there though (the abbey is perched above town, and you get up there by climbing a 199 step staircase) because something big is happening that we didn’t understand at first.  Roadways and the staircase are blocked off by security guards and we weren’t certain we could even get to the abbey at first.  

To make a long story short (because I’m wiped out too), the Commonwealth Games begin in about two weeks.  Have you heard of them?  Think of them as the British version of the Olympics.  And have you heard of the Queen’s Baton Relay?  It was news to us, but last year the Queen placed her secret message to the Commonwealth in a baton and launched it on a 294 day journey to every corner of the Commonwealth.  It’s been around the world and is finally back in England now, visiting communities all across England before finally arriving in Birmingham to initiate the Games.

And as you’ve probably surmised by now, the baton arrived in Whitby this evening.  The bearer was due to arrive around 6:30, with the ceremony and handoff occurring at the abbey.  A large crowd was assembled there when we arrived, everyone was waiting for the bearer to spring up those 199 steps, the mayor was on the schedule to welcome her and make a speech, and then the Queen’s helicopter was due to land and take the baton on to its next destination.   A very big deal. 

As an aside, this is the second time we’ve stumbled upon something like this by pure coincidence.  Ten years ago when we were cycling in Crete we visited Knossos, the famous Minoan site.  We arrived at almost precisely when the Olympic Torch arrived, on its worldwide journey to London to open the 2012 Olympic Games.  The exact same scenario - we were there to visit an important tourist site, but it’s flooded with crowds here to see this transient event instead.

It worked well for us though because we got to see the amazing abbey up close, which wouldn’t have occurred otherwise because the site normally closes at 5 PM.  And it’s worth seeing - the ruined abbey is astonishing. You can’t stop looking at it.  And Whitby itself is pretty great too, another attractive place that leaves us wondering why we’re not staying here for a week instead of just one night.  Only one night?  What were we thinking half a year ago?

And now I’m going to crash too, so I’ll just throw in some photos before it’s lights out.  Maybe I’ll come back and caption them someday.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonGreat texture on the eroded stone!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonIt’s really remarkable. The hues are so appealing too. We were chatting with a couple along the way who said you can see this stone in older buildings throughout the town, where it was scavenged from the ruins as a building material.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltVery nice shot of a little brown bird... :-)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Graham FinchIt sounds like the summer heat is taking its toll. Did you manage to have a pint to cool down?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenIt never occurred to me that someone would not have heard of the Commonwealth Games! How idiotic of me. If you aren’t a Commonwealth country, why would you? Victoria hosted them in 1994 and we went to many events. One was the cycling road race which included an up and over Mt. Tolmie with a sharp turn on the descent. It was an alarming place to watch - not all the cyclists had Tour de France level descending skills!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Kathleen ClassenWell of course I’ve heard of the Commonwealth Games, Kathleen! Never said I hadn’t. I posed the question just in case some readers out there weren’t aware of them. It was the relay that was news to me. Nothing that happens up in Canada ever makes news south of the border unless it’s a sex scandal.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Graham FinchDefinitely. That was item number one as soon as we checked in to our room. I’d have photographed the pint of bitter if they’d served it up in a glass that wasn’t so worn that you couldn’t read the label. I’ll have to start asking to see the glass before they fill it.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen ClassenApologies to you! I can sure see why they would fly under anyone’s radar though. I had just never thought about it. We enjoy them because Canada wins something once in awhile, although Australia is always king of the mountain in the Games!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetI don't remember the Queen's Baton relay being such a big deal--and I carried the baton for one segment in 1994. It wasn't hard to be chosen in Burnaby.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Jacquie GaudetWow, that’s cool!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago