In Shrewsbury: Ironbridge - Three Seasons Around France: Summer - CycleBlaze

August 9, 2022

In Shrewsbury: Ironbridge

Before going on to today’s ride I want to follow up on the comments yesterday from Kathleen Jones, who noted approvingly that two figures named Jones were named in yesterday’s photos.  I researched this and was surprised to learn that in Wales, with its tongue-twisting place names like Llanfairfechan, Jones is one of the most common surnames.  Here’s the history on why there are so many Joneses in Wales.

We’re both quite happy to have stepped off the emotional roller coaster we’ve been riding for the last several days, and are ready for some time on the sleepy Caterpillar Ride.  Today’s out and back east along the River Severn to Ironbridge to see The Iron Bridge fits the bill well - a tranquil 42 mile ride through attractive but less challenging and dramatic countryside than we’ve been immersed in for the past month.  There’s only one hill of consequence to be traversed, but this being an out and back means we have to climb over it twice, with the worst ascent last.

The weather is heating up again so we’re out the door by nine with the aim of making it back again before the day heats up beyond our comfort level.  Without the anxieties over more serious crises occupying our minds it doesn’t take long before we start running through the litany of the normal, smaller complaints.  It’s too steep.  There’s too much traffic. This path is too rough.  It’s too hot.  I need a bathroom stop, soon!  I need to eat, now!!

Just the normal sounds of a Team Anderson ride in the country.  Today it blends well with the gentle cooing of the wood pigeons and the whir of the tires as we cycle east.  We enjoy a beautiful mile along the bank of the Severn before entering a tunnel of green on an unpaved path beside the overgrown Severn Canal for a few more miles.

Leaving Shrewsbury, following the River Severn.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Looking back toward Shrewsbury and Saint Mary’s Church.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A weir on the Severn.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Eventually our route diverges from the river and starts rolling through wheat fields, gradually gaining a bit of elevation as we start climbing into the Shropshire Hills.  About six miles from Ironbridge we face a three mile climb that’s manageable for the most part but does stiffen to 11% for a short bit.  Some work is required, but it’s pretty tame stuff in comparison to recent experiences.  After that we drop more steeply off the other side into Ironbridge Gorge, a broad gap carved through the hills here by the Severn.

Slate slats are out now, oaks are in.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Gaining a bit of elevation we get occasional views across the Severn. I wonder what those conical peaks are, off in the direction of Wales.
Heart 3 Comment 3
Polly LowMight they be the Breidden Hills?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Stewart BradyThe Lawley (L) and Caer Caradoc (R)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Stewart BradyThanks! I think I must have been able to see them from the other side on today’s ride to Ludlow. I’ll have to go back and look at the photos again.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
A dovecot, though this shot doesn’t show it well because the access ports are hidden in the shadows.
Heart 5 Comment 0
In Shropshire.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Shropshire.
Heart 4 Comment 0
In Shropshire.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Keith Adams"And the wavin' wheat can sure smell sweet
When the wind comes right behind the rain."

Not that there's any rain imminent in the tableau shown here, but that was the first thing that came to mind.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The Wrekin I reckon, a prominent landmark in Shropshire.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We’re just crossing a tendril of the Shropshire Hills AONB here. We’ll get a better look tomorrow when we traverse the heart of the area after leaving Shropshire.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We’ve fast forwarded past the climb and have dropped near the river. Here we’re following the 26 arch Coalbrookdale Viaduct, part of the rail line that opened in 1864 to transport goods from Ironbridge Gorge.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Shropshire would make a good base for some less challenging day rides, with NCN routes radiating out in four directions.  We’ve chosen this one to see the famous Iron Bridge, the world’s first iron bridge in the center of what is billed as the birthplace of the Industrial Reservation.  There’s much to say about this structure and place, but the day is starting to heat up and we need to hit the road so I’m stopping here for now.

The Iron Bridge, built in 1779. The ironwork was cast by Abraham Darby III, the grandson of Abraham Darby - the inventor who pioneered the smelting of iron using coke, a process that was a catalyst for the Industrial Revolution.
Heart 6 Comment 0
The bridge has been recently repainted in its original color. So we’re seeing it at its best.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Jen RahnBeautiful structure! Love the color and the detail.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The Iron Bridge.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Iron Bridge.
Heart 7 Comment 0
The Severn River, from the bridge. The town of Ironbridge (developed after the bridge was completed and named for it) is well set up for tourism. You can rent a canoe here.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The view up from underneath. It’s an interesting light show, with the light flickering with the ripples in the river. The underside is illuminated by reflection from the river.
Heart 4 Comment 0
At the opposite end of the bridge is the toll house, one of a number of historical sites and museums in the vicinity.
Heart 3 Comment 0
It’s especially nice to see that royalty have to pay a toll along with the cows, hogs and sheep. Also, there’s no added charge for bicycle - yet anyway, since they wouldn’t be invented for another forty years.
Heart 4 Comment 3
Keith AdamsSo the Queen has to pay a royalty... nice.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jen RahnMade me look up "neat catte"! From what I understand it's just an assortment of cattle that excluded milking cows(?)

Also .. this makes me want to say to someone, "Get your unladen ass over here!" ... Or .. "Get your ass over here .. laden or unladen!"
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnOh, yes. Thanks for spotting that. I’d meant to look up research cattle myself. Neat!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The view of Ironbridge, from the Iron Bridge. The building straight on is the Tontine Hotel.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looks like an attractive place, and a piece of history. If we come back this way we might stay over for a night.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Interesting. I’ve never heard of a tontine before, a type of financial investment plan sort of like a life annuity.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Keith AdamsThere was a M*A*S*H episode that centered around a tontine. Col. Potter was the final survivor.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Lucy MartinAlso a Simpsons episode.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The hills (which in this direction topped out at 16%) behind us, we’re heading home before it gets any hotter.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 42 miles, 2,600’; for the tour: 1,708 miles, 94,600’

Today's ride: 42 miles (68 km)
Total: 1,707 miles (2,747 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Kathleen JonesThe Jones clan thanks you for the shout-out. I’m pretty Irish several generations back, but not surprising that the name migrated from Wales. It’s the 4th most common surname in the US, Wikipedia tells us.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago