In Richmond: Egglestone Abbey - Three Seasons Around France: Summer - CycleBlaze

July 17, 2022

In Richmond: Egglestone Abbey

With a warm day on tap Rachael’s up early, before six.  I hear her stirring around downstairs, open my eyes, and reach for the iPad.

I was intrigued by the look on the wall. On the left, sunlight is streaming through the east window; and on the right the mirror reflects the light from the west window. Sorry the image isn’t better, but the iPad was the only tool within reach.
Heart 5 Comment 3
Marjory SwordThis looks like a Vermeer painting!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Marjory SwordThat’s a nice observation. It does have that look. I was really pleased at how well my humble iPad camera did with this.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bruce LellmanVery cool shot, Scott.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Unsurprisingly, Rachael has a walk planned for herself for the day. Between the heat, the steep hills, and the memories of yesterday’s near miss fresh in her mind still, there was no doubt that this would be her plan for the day.  She’s out the door at 9:30, as soon as she can usher me out ahead of her since there’s only one key to our apartment, and returns about five hours later with a panoply of photographs to help her remember what a wonderful day it was for her.  She’s soothed by walking the shaded footpath along the Swale, charmed by kids playing around the waterfall and plunging into its plunge pool, delighted by flocks of sheep and a cluster of cows surrounding or barricading the footpath.

The absolutely perfect use of the day, she exults.  Later, she has the inspiration to turn her collection into a slideshow and upload it to Vimeo, something that’s enabled by a GoPro app she discovered.

It looks like it will get warm later, but I’m biking anyway.  I sketched out a route a couple of days ago that would take me north to Barnard Castle, and as long as I went to all that work and asked Rachael to load it, I might as well capitalize on all that investment.  I’m out the door just ahead of Rachael at 9:30, and pause on my way out of town to take in the Sunday market just setting up in Market Square.

9:30, and the show’s just beginning.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The ride begins with a climb.  Richmond sits above the river, but it’s still well down into the steep valley the Swale has carved here.  Heading north it’s all uphill at first, climbing three or four hundred feet in the first mile.  I feel like I’ve gotten off easy when the grade tops out at only 13% for a change.  

At the top I pause to admire the view south across the valley and look over the town below.  And that’s exactly what happens - I look over it, but not at it.  The valley is steep and deep enough that no trace of Richmond is visible - not even the top of the castle’s tall keep.

Richmond’s down in that cleft somewhere. There’s probably a great footpath in here that would let you look down on the town, but it’s not in the plans for the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The ride plan is to head north to the River Tees, crossing it on the Whorlton Bridge.  After that I’ll turn west to the town of Barnard’s Castle, stare at its eponymous castle, cross back to this side of the Tees again, swing by the ruined Egglestone Abbey for a look there too, and then head for home.  Not a bad ride: 35 miles, maybe 2,000’ of elevation gain if RideWithGPS is to be believed, though there’s no reason to believe it based on recent experience.

The ride to Whorlton Bridge is very pleasant.  The weather so far is surprisingly comfortable, almost coolish with the overcast sky and slight breeze.  There’s a bit more climbing and then it’s a gradual, rolling downhill to the river through lovely countryside giving many reasons to stop.  Traffic is light, the road is a striped two lane ribbon that feels perfectly safe because the occasional car has plenty of room to pass.  The terrain is gentler too - other than the climb away from the Swale nothing breaks eight or nine percent.  If we come back to Richmond someday I’ll bring Rachael up this direction.

Lovely riding along Springs Lane. Gentle enough that I don’t fear the idea of biking back this way on the return.
Heart 3 Comment 0
There’s no shortage of stone walls in North Yorkshire.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Fireweed and bracken. Minus the mossy stone wall this could be a scene in the coast range back home.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Building blocks or rollers? How do farmers ever decide?
Heart 2 Comment 0
The view north across the wide, shallow Tees Valley.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Stone walls, stone huts, grazing sheep. Yorkshire is a very seductive place.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Keith AdamsJames Herriot certainly thought so.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Church of Saints Peter and Felix, Kirby Hill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Green stones, Kirby Hill.
Heart 3 Comment 1
marilyn swettCool! An old church along with an old cemetery.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Yes, having defibrillators scattered about this lumpy land seems like good thinking.
Heart 2 Comment 4
marilyn swettWhat an innovative use of a former phone booth!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Marjory SwordI might have needed one after all that climbing!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Marjory SwordI admit o feeling entitled. Its the same thing with food - a big plus with bike touring is you can eat whatever you want.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith AdamsI've seen phone boxes turned into small libraries and home for gnomes, but not this.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
We’re off the double wide here, but it still feels perfectly safe as long as you’re paying attention and ready to give way to the rare passing vehicle.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dalton I think, but it could be any of the villages I pass through. They all have this same stoney look about them.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Slowly dropping toward the river. A very relaxing ride.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Saint Mary’s Catholic Church, Wycliff.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Outside the church, Wycliff. Any theories on what’s going on here?
Heart 0 Comment 3
Graham FinchI would think it' s just sheep rubbing against the wire fence.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Graham FinchThat was my first idea too but thought there might be some other explanation.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bill ShaneyfeltMy thought was also "rubber" fence.

Gotta scratch that itch?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Plans change by force when I come to the Whorlton Bridge, which is temporarily closed - barricaded solidly, with signs prominently stating that it’s closed to all forms of traffic.  Temporary, as in it was closed to motor vehicles in July, 2019 after a minor structural defect was found in an inspection; and to all traffic, bicycles and walkers included, in December 2020 when it was found to be at imminent risk of collapse.

So we’re not going that way today, boys and girls.  I turn back and bike to the junction a short ways away to study the map and see what alternatives are possible.

The Whorlton Bridge is closed for urgently needed repairs. They were to have been completed by this spring, but the date keeps slipping indefinitely.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Back at the junction I look with bemusement at the collection of signs: a warning that there’s a weak and narrow bridge ahead; a newer one announcing road closure; and the sign for NCN 165 directing you toward this temporarily dead end.

For the past year and a half Route 165 has been unpassable beyond this point.  It might be about time for a few deviation signs to appear, since it’s not at all obvious what your options are here beyond swimming a broad river.

Some conflicting advice.
Heart 1 Comment 0

I stare at the maps for several minutes, both on the phone and the Garmin, torn between just calling it a ride and turning back or experimenting to see if I can find a reasonable way around.  I find one that looks like it might work, by way of Greta Bridge, so I start off in that direction.  I’ve got plenty of time, so if it doesn’t pan out I can always reverse course.

A quarter mile later I come upon a couple unloading the groceries from their car and ask them if there’s a way through to Barnard Castle, and there is.  It’s a complicated set of instructions, including a pedestrian underpass beneath freeway-like A66.  As it happens, this is exactly the route I’d plucked out myself.

If you’re in the same situation, this is likely the best option. Adds about four miles and a 400’ climb, but it’s perfectly fine otherwise. Someone should let the folks at NCN know.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Polly LowI apologise, on behalf of my country (and County - the delay in fixing the bridge is Durham County Council's fault, I think!), for this. There were, once upon a time, some NCN diversion signs (which sent you east, and over the bridge at Winston, before heading west again; your solution is a better one, actually...), but I suspect they've all fallen over/been stolen/etc by now. The shortage of non-collapsing bridges over the Tees is a problem for cycle tourists in these parts (the next one downriver, at Gainford, has also been 'temporarily' closed for years and years...)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Some graylags. Note that it’s their lags that are gray, not their legs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Greta Bridge. There’s a footpath you could take to a point where you could get a better look, but I didn’t. It’s at the village of Greta Bridge, and named because it crosses the River Greta. It’s not named after a girl or woman, btw. Greta is derivative from the Norse words for stony stream.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Part of the deviation passes through here. Surface is fine, traffic is low.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Bellflower?
Heart 2 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like it.

https://www.naturespot.org.uk/species/giant-bellflower
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like the critter, alright. And they were both white and blue. White was the more unusual.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

By staying on this side of the Tees, I come to the turnoff to Egglestone Abbey before reaching Barnard Castle which is on the north bank.  The abbey is at the end of about a half mile spur, Abbey Road.  If there’s been video today, something from that album would be the obvious choice for the sound track.  There’s no video, but you can imagine me whistling Penny Lane as I bike toward the abbey, having forgotten which album that tune came from.

Egglestone Abbey is a glorious find, and nearly deserted.  There’s  couple walking their dogs and a woman painting the abbey, but otherwise I have the place to myself.  I’m there for nearly a half hour it seems, staring at it from every direction.  Awesome.

Egglestone Abbey.
Heart 5 Comment 1
marilyn swettLooks like a fixer upper to me!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Egglestone Abbey.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Egglestone Abbey.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Egglestone Abbey.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Egglestone Abbey.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Egglestone Abbey.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Egglestone Abbey.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Egglestone Abbey.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Egglestone Abbey.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At Egglestone Abbey.
Heart 2 Comment 0

I figure after that anything else should be a letdown and decide to call it a day, content with a distant snap of Barnard Castle from across the Tees.  After that I just bike home, other than for a quick stop nine miles out at The Milbank Arms to continue with The Project, mixing in a bit of work with pleasure.

Barnard Castle, I presume.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Polly LowSo, if you tell anyone in the UK that you've been to Barnard Castle, there's a pretty good chance that they'll respond by asking you if you needed to test your eyesight (a reference to this incident during the first covid lockdown, involving our soon-to-be-ex-PM's then right-hand man): https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/dec/17/people-wont-forget-dominic-cummings-visit-barnard-castle-learns-to-live-with-notoriety (There's even a commemorative beer, for your Project!)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Polly LowWhat great insider information! It’s a shame I didn’t know in advance or I well might have done some project work here.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The Bowes Museum, an art gallery in Barnard Castle, has a surprising appearance in this part of the world. It looks like it was snatched from somewhere in France.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking across the Tees Valley again.
Heart 1 Comment 0
OK, and thanks for the warning. I’ll be careful. I don’t want a puncture from one of those guys.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
The day ends as it begins, with a shot from our apartment taken with the iPad. Here we’re looking across the lower town and the Swale from the south window. The iPad is the tool of choice because I’m too lazy to descend the stairs to get a different camera.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Annette SchneiderGives a pleasant softness to the image.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 39 miles, 3,300’; for the tour: 1,114 miles, 49,400’

Today's ride: 39 miles (63 km)
Total: 1,114 miles (1,793 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0