In Malmesbury: lookin’ - Three Seasons Around France: Summer - CycleBlaze

August 22, 2022

In Malmesbury: lookin’

Two posts from a Malmesbury without even a single photo of the town itself.  You just knew a photo gallery was coming, didn’t you?  I didn’t want to disappoint you so here are a few shots.  It’s an endearing place.  Two nights was good, three would have been even better.  With another day I might have visited the famous gardens and would definitely have stopped in at the museum, which unfortunately was closed on the days we were here.  I’d have liked to see its collection of rare bicycles, especially the hand-powered tricycle with stirrups for steering with your feet.

High Street.
Heart 1 Comment 0
High Street again, a little further down.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Almost every structure on Gloucester Street/Abbey Row is interesting. On the opposite side of the street are the abbey and the Old Bell.
Heart 1 Comment 0
On Gloucester Street.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On Gloucester Street.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On Gloucester Street.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On Gloucester Street. I stopped in the next morning and asked how long he’d been open since it advertises itself as the new bike shop in town. Six years.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Market Cross was built around 1490, possibly using stones from the recently ruined abbey that stands behind it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In the Market Cross, a popular gathering spot.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Malmesbury Abbey was founded as a Benedictine abbey in 676. There are some interesting facts about it. It housed one of the most important libraries in Europe during the Middle Ages. Athelstan, the first king of England, was buried here. In the early 11th century the monk Eilmer of Malmesbury was one of the first to attempt human flight, by strapping wings to himself and leaping from a tower of the cathedral. He did pretty well, flying over 200 yards before landing and breaking both legs.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Lucy MartinAlright, Eilmer
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Malmesbury Abbey.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Malmesbury Abbey.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Malmesbury Abbey. The church is still in use today, but large parts of it were destroyed when it’s tower and 431 foot tall spire collapsed in a storm in around 1500, destroying much of the church including the nave and transept.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith AdamsI think you've missed a digit in the date of collapse...
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Malmesbury Abbey.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Malmesbury Abbey.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Avon River.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lily pads, algae and feathers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The abbey, from across the Avon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Malmesbury from across the Avon.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 0