In Bury St Edmunds: the loop to the south - Three Seasons Around France: Summer - CycleBlaze

June 27, 2022

In Bury St Edmunds: the loop to the south

Another quite windy day looks to be in store but this time with the threat of rain in the afternoon.  That together with her generally aching body are enough for Rachael, who elects to take a walk southwest to an intriguing large green space on the map covered with walking trails with such enticing names as the Monument Trail, Linnet River Trail, and Lady Hervey’s Walk.  She comes back with a story that still confuses me about an admittance kiosk charging 11£ to access one of the trails and a sneaky diversion through a hotel.  And a few photos.  I really like the one through the wheat field, but the rotunda intrigued me enough that I looked it up.  The rotunda and wings are Ickworth House, a classic Italianate villa commissioned two hundred years ago for use as his primary residence by Frederick Hervey, the Fourth Earl of Bristol; and the grounds are the massive Ickworth Estate that dates back to the 1500’s.  The building is now the property of the National Trust, which received it in exchange for death taxes.  I’m sure there are plenty of opinions out there already about this place, so I won’t add mine.  Interesting though.

On the trail. Nice to have some leg room to let you avoid the ever-present nettles.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltNettles are pretty good wild greens. But be sure to wear gloves when picking! It took a few decades after hearing they were good before I was willing to try them... I missed out on a lot of good eating!

https://joshfecteau.com/foraging-wild-greens-stinging-nettle/
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Mushrooms! I don’t remember seeing ones like these.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Do I really have to take a bath? Where’s my toy boat?
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rocky insists that this is the trail, but I think she’s just wandered off into a wheat field by mistake.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The rotunda of Ickworth House. Built by the 4th Earl of Bristol between 1795 and 1825 on commission to Italian architect Antonio Asprucci. Originally conceived to be an art gallery for the Earl’s private collection until it was seized by Napoleon.
Heart 5 Comment 4
Keith AdamsWhy was a British Earl storing a collection of art in any place Napoleon could get at, Iam compelled to wonder.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Keith AdamsI was surprised by this also because I hadn’t heard of this invasion. How did he get the elephants across the English Channel? Oh, wait - wrong invasion, wrong warrior.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Polly LowThe Napoleonic Wars coincided with a peak period for British & French ‘collectors’ pilfering/acquiring (depending on your POV!) objects in Greece & the Near East (and to some extent Italy), which meant there was also quite a lot of scope for each side capturing the other side’s loot as it sailed to Northern Europe. A fair amount of stuff now in the British Museum was originally intended for French collections, and vice versa for stuff now in the Louvre…
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Polly LowThis is a great response. Thanks! I’ve never heard this, and it’s really a nice thing to know. I didn’t really hold much stock in the idea that he invaded England with elephants anyway.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The smarter half of Team Anderson left early (about 9:30, which counts as early in these parts) in order to beat the rain, and returned dry.  The dimmer light on the team decided to have a second cup of coffee and finish the blog before starting out, knowing full well that it was eating into the window of dry weather.  He left at eleven for a loop to the south, planning on biking into a headwind and then getting blown home.  The thought of a little rain didn’t worry him, thinking that if it comes he’ll just pop into the nearest pub to continue his research project while the worst blows over.

His plan worked nearly as planned - headwinds blasting him home on the way back, with many interesting sights along the way and an exciting, dramatic sky to stop and stare at with fascination and increasing dread.  Better though would have been if he’d left even just ten minutes earlier and if an enticing pub had shown up at exactly the right moment instead of miles of empty road without so much as an overpass to shelter beneath.

A dark and windy day is in store.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Alms Houses, Hawstead. The inscription below the roofline reads “These Alms Houses were erected and endowed, for the benefit of the Aged, and Deserving, Poor, Anno 1811, by Philip Metcalfe, Esq”.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The old school, Hawstead, dated 1849. I love those chimneys!
Heart 5 Comment 0
A mixed lot of cows, West Suffolk.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Bringing in the harvest. I imagine them working in a hurry, trying to beat the rain.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Blue passion flowers and a wicker fence.
Heart 3 Comment 0
I stopped to admire this pristine thatched roof, lighter by far than any I’ve seen before. The owner saw me and came out to chat and brag on her new roof, completed just this month. It was installed over a four month period by a thatcher who works alone. She’s been waiting four years to finally make it to the top of his schedule. The house, from 1550, was falling apart before she took it on four years ago.
Heart 6 Comment 0
She said her roof is good for 40 years, but the roofline needs replacement at half that. This house directly across the street uses a different weave, good for 70 years.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Saint James Church, Stanstead.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Interesting hardware on the gate to the Saint James churchyard.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Stanstead Hall, a gloomy place.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It won’t be a surprise if I get a bit wet today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Old School, Long Milford.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In West Suffolk.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Liston Church.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crossing the River Stour.
Heart 4 Comment 0
At Peter and Paul Church, Lavenham.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Entering Lavenham, a remarkable medieval town that prospered from the wool trade and at one time was one of the richest towns in England.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Lavenham is astonishing, with its wonderful collection of well preserved half timbered houses. If the weather hadn’t looked so menacing by now we’d be seeing a whole gallery of photos from this village rather than just the few I stopped for.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Lavenham.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Lavenham.
Heart 5 Comment 3
Keith AdamsPicturesque, but a carpenter's worst nightmare.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Lyle McLeodLooks like Salvador Dali was the architect!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Lyle McLeodI should have shown a side view, but I liked it from this direction for the storm clouds. From the side you can see how tilted it is.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
With still fifteen miles to go it’s not looking good. Fortunately I have a strong tailwind blowing me home.
Heart 4 Comment 0
What a dramatic sky! Please let it stay a safe distance away though.
Heart 3 Comment 0
I tell myself it’s foolish to keep stopping, but one scene after another compels me to brake for it.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Have to stop for this white horse, don’t I? This is absolutely the last one though.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Well, how was I to know there’d be a red-legged partridge in the road? He’s probably the reason I ended up getting a little wet.
Heart 7 Comment 2
Rich FrasierAnd he has a guilty look on his face to prove it.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Rich FrasierHe does, doesn’t he! It’s that mask - a sure sign of a bad guy.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 39 miles, 2,000’; for the tour: 424 miles, 18,300’

Today's ride: 39 miles (63 km)
Total: 424 miles (682 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 0