In Abergavenny: time out - Three Seasons Around France: Summer - CycleBlaze

August 17, 2022

In Abergavenny: time out

Today is as much of a complete rest day as we ever seem to end up taking. Not much to show and tell, so this will be very brief.  First the show:

In our apartment for the next four nights. Rachael’s a little out of focus for some reason. Maybe the lighting’s wrong, but maybe she’s smoking something.
Heart 2 Comment 0
If we had to we could cram the bikes in the apartment somewhere but it works better to keep them on the patio. There’s just enough cover from the umbrella to protect them from the showers.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Now the tell, what there is of it.  First, about the place.  It’s a small cottage next to the owner’s house, named Little Skirrid Cwtch - a name that sounded cutesy to me until I got here and understood its origin.  Little Skirrid is the name of the hill behind us, and one meaning for Cwtch (rhymes with butch) is cupboard or cubbyhole.  So that makes sense.

It has two halves, separated by a door.  The front half, shown above, is the living area/kitchen/utility room.  Includes a fridge, range, French press, TV (with Netflix!), a table, four (!) chairs, a couch, and a combined washer/dryer.  The back half is the bedroom/bathroom/shower, with no doors for privacy.  It’s all pretty cozy but fine for four days.  A Cwtch.

It was raining this morning.  I heard from the bike shop about 9:30 that the bike was ready so I waited until about eleven after the rain stopped to walk down to pick it up with the idea to take a ride afterwards.  The ride I had mapped out was a 25 mile loop around Skirrid Mawr (the great Skirrid, Little Skirrid’s big brother).  As I walked through downtown though umbrellas started popping out; and looking up it was clear that there would be no views today with all the hills (Abergavenny is surrounded by hills) completely blanketed in clouds and fog.  Not inviting, so I just biked back home.  And stayed there for the rest of the day sipping coffee, reading blogs and the news and sketching out candidate ideas for next spring’s tour, assuming there’s enthusiasm in the team for a tour when the time comes.

Rachael did the laundry and can happily report that with the use of the manual she operated it correctly and our load came out clean and dry only seven hours after the wash cycle started.  Then she went off for a walk downtown and along the canal, returning only six miles later - which for her constitutes nearly a day off.  Only six miles, and mostly flat!

For dinner we walked down to Casa Bianca for a very nice Italian meal: a goat cheese salad, salmon for her and spaghetti with clams for myself.  Turkish tomorrow night, and then Casa Bianca again if we can get a table.

Back home, we binge-watched episodes 2 and 3 of the fourth season of Borgen (after watching the first episode the night before), a terrific Danish political series we were enamored with in the past but had forgotten about until Rachael saw that after a seven year lapse it’s returned with a fourth season.  Highly recommended.  If I remember correctly, this is the first time we’ve watched television since leaving Portland back in March.

Oh, the bike.  It’s fine.  The bike shop suggested that I might try lubing the gears from time to time.  For the second time in a week I biked home from the bike shop feeling like a dope, but a happy dope.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 7
Keith AdamsEveryone needs a vacation from their vacation, every once in a while. Good to see that even Team Anderson chooses to stand down once in a while. Sleep in, take naps, waste some time. You'll feel better for it.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Carolyn van HoeveHey Scott & Rachael, it's really quite an adventure you're on. I'm in awe of the endless hills you've been knocking off lately!
I have just booked a night in Crémieu with your highly recommended Vicenta. Three weeks and counting before we depart.
What lyingweather.com apps did you find the most useful in France?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Bob KoreisLubing the gears? Do they mean the derailleurs? The sprockets? Only moving part I've lubed that wasn't part of an overhaul is the chain.

Congratulations to Rachel on the operation of the washer/dryer. Several years ago a member of our trio decided to do some laundry while in Lyon and grabbed out dirty laundry as well. Almost melted our man made fiber items. We had a hell of a time trying to figure out how to stop it.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Keith AdamsIt really did help!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Carolyn van HoeveYou’re going to Cremieu! We loved that place and that stay and would love to return. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Is the plan still to bike from Lyon to Marseille, down the Via Rhona with a detour to Annecy and Grenoble? When will you be flying home? It’s not beyond reason that we could be in the vicinity when you’re at the southern end. Also the Grampies, who are planning on ending their next tour in Marseille the last I heard.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Carolyn van HoeveYes the plan still to cycle Lyon to Arles via Annecy & Grenoble and a few of your other stops.
We're flying back early October. I will keep up with your posts to see where you get to!
Let me know about which weather apps worked best for you? Also another question as to whether we will need cash at all? Do laundries still use coins?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonWe’ve mainly been using weather.com but also using yr.no. Yr.no is better. Definitely carry some cash and it’s good to have change at the laundromat but in France you usually could use credit card or bills. Have a great trip!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago