Hay-on-Wye (a photo album) - Three Seasons Around France: Summer - CycleBlaze

August 15, 2022

Hay-on-Wye (a photo album)

We ate dinner at the Three Tuns tonight, a pub with an Italian theme.  Their normal menu offers several typical Italian offerings but they’re running a limited menu tonight - appetizers, salads and pizza.  The salad was great, like one we’d find in Italy and an unusual offering in England where menus typically list no salads at all.  For the main, with our choices being pizza or pizza, we went for the pizza.  It was OK, but the salad was better.  Still, a nice change - it’s the first time we’ve had pizza in the UK as far as we can remember.

Afterwards Rachael retreated to our palatial room (joke; wait for photos in the AM) at the Seven Stars B&B to spread out and relax while I decided to spend a few minutes wandering around Hay.  Hay, there’s a lot to like here!  Here’s what I found.

It’s been overcast most of the day but the skies opened up for awhile this evening and briefly washed the town in a lovely glow. This is the Broad Street Clocktower.
Heart 8 Comment 0
A surprising fact about Hay is its claim to being the world’s largest antiquarian and secondhand book center. In such a small town, it seems there’s another specialty bookshop everywhere you look.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Here’s another. I could go on - their catalog lists 13 bookshops - but this is enough to get the idea across.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We should have stayed here. I’ll bet they have rooms large enough for a bit of elbow room. Hay - is tyred the Welsh version of tired?
Heart 6 Comment 0
Oh, good. I was hoping I could get a good look at a raven here. The statuettes are for Ron’s benefit. Hay - is odditifs the Welsh equivalent for oddities?
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltShakespearean inspiration?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The Hay Cheese Market, built in 1835 on the site of the original town hall.
Heart 1 Comment 0
On the facade of the Hay Cheese Market: Henry VII, the first Welsh king.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The board makes it look like this is the Butter Market, but it’s not. It’s just butter-hued. Hay, build better with butter. That’s my motto.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Jen RahnThat would look nice painted on the side of the building!

And, of course, there's a font called "butter" that will be perfect.

"This is a chic and relaxed handwritten font. Whatever the topic, this font will be a wonderful asset to your font library, as it has the potential to enhance any creation."
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The real Butter Market, I believe.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A hay-hued house in Hay.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A typical street scene in Hay - a book shop on the left, another on the right.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Hay.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Unsurprisingly for a border town, Hay has a castle.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Hay Castle’s 13th century gateway has the oldest in situ operating defensive doors in the UK. They survived multiple assaults, including a siege in 1616 by King John and another in 1231 by Llewelyn the Great.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The cat entrance.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Hay Castle shows us its backside.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Dovecot.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The inner side of the castle gate. I’m not sure what the problem is though. Hay, Llewelyn - if you’re so Great why didn’t you just walk around the side like I did?
Heart 5 Comment 0
A bit of an optical illusion. Keith, the window isn’t bricked over - we’re staring through its empty frame to the opposite wall.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Keith AdamsNice parlor trick in the composition!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
There’s thunder rumbling in the distance. Might as well head back to the room.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Keith AdamsHay nonny nonny
Are all upper-floor apartments in town called Hay lofts?
You could take Willie Mays' place as the Say Hay Kid
Oh Hay can you see...
Hay Hay mama gonna make you move, gonna make you sweat gonna make you groove.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Graham FinchI guess you haven't found Annie's cafe - I was there in June.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Graham FinchAngie’s? I see she offers tea cakes and insults. A shame we missed it, I could have used an insult.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago