Norwich to Lincoln - Words From Off The Sea - CycleBlaze

May 20, 2022

Norwich to Lincoln

train back and up to the Morning Star

 Historic Norwich is a super place to visit with a host of interesting sights, but today I just feel like getting home and walk back across to the train station and buy a ticket to Lincoln. There's a two-hour stopover in Peterborough, where I can get late breakfast.

 A couple of other cyclists board the train and we sit in a group. Ian, who's heading on a long journey with his titanium mountain bike up to Scotland, does most of the talking. It seems like he's ridden every track and Audax in the UK.

  Bicycle path signs point the way to town from Peterborough's station and it's just a five-minute ride and I soon come to a cafe called Dessert Lounge where I sit alone and enjoy a cappuccino and croissant. It feels like today's a whole lot better already and it's not even 11 o'clock.

  There's enough time to get to see Cathedral Square and a few old buildings before having an early lunch in Subway and heading back to the station. I call Dave to let him know I'm heading back to Lincoln and being Friday, we agree to meet in a traditional pub called The Morning Star that's near the Cathedral at 4:30. I call another close friend called Mark and he says he'll pop in on his way home from work, while my younger brother, Pete, will also be there. It's his second home.

Norwich Station
Heart 2 Comment 0
Old Guild Hall, Peterborough (1671)
Heart 3 Comment 0
Bishops Gate
Heart 3 Comment 0
Door to the Great Gate
Heart 3 Comment 0
Train ride from Peterborough to Lincoln
Heart 2 Comment 0

 Once off the train in Lincoln, I ride less than 10 minutes and call to see my older brother, then spend some time relaxing in the shade of mature trees in the nearby Arboretum. There's enough time to call in to see an old friend called Tig for a quick chat and from his house it's a short walk up to the pub .

 The Morning Star is one of those increasingly rare English pubs that rely on locals who appreciate a decent pint and eschew pipped music or jukeboxes and a bank of TVs playing sports. It's nice to chat with friends after what turned out to be a tour that didn't end quite as planned and I opine on the cost and checking-in rigmarole of hotels now, bemoan my Canon getting smashed and not rendezvousing with friends in Norfolk, and question the accuracy of weather forecasts. In short, I put the world to righst.

Relaxing in The Arboretum, Lincoln
Heart 2 Comment 0
Tig
Heart 4 Comment 0
Dave
Heart 4 Comment 0
Mark
Heart 4 Comment 0
Pete, my younger brother
Heart 4 Comment 0
In the Morning Star
Heart 5 Comment 0

Today's ride: 4 km (2 miles)
Total: 449 km (279 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Keith KleinHi,
Makes me thirsty to look at your mates. Our local bar/restaurant is run by an avid cyclist, which sounds ideal except when you know the bar is closed in the afternoon so Marcel can be out with us. He makes a great French lunch, though.
Cheers,
Keith
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Graham FinchTo Keith KleinThe thing I miss most, apart from family, is the traditional British pub and a decent pint of draught.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesNice use of black and white for portraits!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Graham FinchTo Steve Miller/GrampiesThanks - the colour wasn't quite right in the low light and it seemed easier to just flick them to monochrome.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago