What did we forget?: Home to Milford, OH - Underground Railroad Route (Southern Half) - CycleBlaze

April 12, 2010

What did we forget?: Home to Milford, OH

The logistics for this type of tour can be challenging. We wanted to leave a car in Milford, Ohio and start the tour in Mobile, Alabama. I was unable to figure out a way to rent a vehicle one way from Milford to Mobile. Consequently, we planned to leave our car at Bishop's Bicycle shop near the route in Milford and then drive our Dakota truck loaded with the tandem and gear to Mobile. We would leave the truck there during the tour and pick it up after the tour. We left our home in eastern WV traveling west, planning to grab a visit with our grandchildren in Morgantown, WV. Halfway to Morgantown, I (finally) remembered that I had forgotten to put the bicycle rack in the Corolla and would consequently have no way to load the tandem on the car at the end of the tour. One thing we are getting better at as we age is treating these setbacks as just part of the adventure. I decided to not worry about it, we had several weeks to figure out a solution.*

We each drove a vehicle into the night, stopping at a motel overnight so that we could arrive at Bishop's Bicycle Shop in the morning after they opened.

*The eventual solution was to purchase a cheap Walmart bike rack for $40 which I subsequently sold for $20.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0