Linden Angels return - Underground Railroad Route (Southern Half) - CycleBlaze

April 17, 2010

Linden Angels return

The following morning Bill and Jane were back, this time with breakfast and, incredibly, offering to drive us back into town to pick up a truck to use for the day in the event we wanted to stay and explore the area a little more. Jane took us to the post office where we mailed home our dry bag with 20 lbs. of camping gear which we were not going to use. We drove to Demopolis and visited the public library. Rhona (a retired reading teacher) checked out the children's section, the entire third floor of the large modern facility.

Part of the children's section of the Demopolis library.
Heart 0 Comment 0

While waiting in line to order lunch at a pizza store, grandson Nicholas phoned to report to his doting grandparents that he scored his first lacrosse goal. I was glad we had cellphone reception and were able to celebrate his success with him. After returning to our "loft vacation home" we lazed away the afternoon and evening. We had dinner again at the Whistle Stop and of course, tried the fried green tomatoes. The waitress had time to talk to us. Not for the last time we noted that "Southern Hospitality" is not just a cliche. In fact, not one single person that we met in Alabama or Mississippi was cold to us. Unfortunately, Bill was not feeling well and we were not able to talk to Bill & Jane again to take their pictures or thank them for the bed, food, transportation and friendship.

Jane kept tabs on us by cell phone as we continued our trip, especially concerned about how violent storms might be affecting us (violent storms in the Nashville area at the time resulted in deadly floods on interstate highways). At the same time, we were monitoring reports of storms which included tornadoes in Linden. That can be one of the effects of bicycle touring and broadening your horizons; now there are people in your thoughts and prayers in places you never even heard of before. After we were home, Jane mailed a copy of the article published in the Democrat Reporter. The reporter did a nice job describing our trip in a short article, although as retired educators we were embarrassed by his attribution of a grammatically incorrect quote to us.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0