Lewisport to Corydon, Indiana: And, they're off! When's the Kentucky Derby? - Underground Railroad Route (Southern Half) - CycleBlaze

April 30, 2010

Lewisport to Corydon, Indiana: And, they're off! When's the Kentucky Derby?

We altered our route a little in an effort to complete additional miles prior to the arrival of predicted bad weather. We stopped in a great little Mennonite store that also served fresh sandwiches and chili. Rhona tied into a fried peach pie.

Rhona really enjoyed her food from the Mennonite store. I took this picture with the cellphone camera.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We seem to run into folks while eating lunch who are especially interested in us and our journey. A man at this store talked with us at length and then later caught up with us at a church where we were resting. He then directed us to a good shortcut. It got very hot as the day progressed, but after crossing into Indiana we picked up a tailwind and sailed into Corydon, hitting 25 mph. at times.

New state!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Upon arrival in Corydon we obtained one of the last three rooms at the Super 8. When we asked why the place was so crowded we were dismayed to learn that somebody had scheduled the Kentucky Derby that weekend in nearby Louisville, KY. It was very unlikely that we would be able to find any rooms as we approached Louisville, and in fact we were being charged full price for the Super 8 room we were in (full price was twice the price they would normally charge). We were likely to be stuck there for two to three nights at that price because 5 inches of rain was anticipated the following day. What to do....

Today's ride: 73 miles (117 km)
Total: 942 miles (1,516 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0