Counce to Parsons: Na-Na's Cafe - Underground Railroad Route (Southern Half) - CycleBlaze

April 22, 2010

Counce to Parsons: Na-Na's Cafe

The first 18 miles this morning got us to Shiloh National Battlefield Park. Since we entered through the back entrance, most of the directional signs were not helpful and we cycled several extra miles looking for the visitors center. After Shiloh we cycled along mostly back roads along the Tennessee River. At lunchtime a toothless old man recommended Na-Na's Cafe. We had difficulty understanding what he was saying, but he was right about the food. Scrambled eggs on toast with peach cobbler hit the spot.

Not a lot to look at from the outside (or from the inside either), but the food was great and the people friendly as usual.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Rhona finally found some postcards at Shiloh Park after looking all through Alabama and Mississippi. Rhona's knees started hurting later in the day, perhaps from the hillier terrain. In the heat of the afternoon, she soaked her head under a water spigot outside a rural fire station. She claims the freezing cold water felt great and she certainly seemed to be in a better mood on the back of the tandem afterward. She continues to face limited vegetarian selections in the restaurants so we shopped for dinner in a grocery. She was so excited to score some pickled beets to go with her cottage cheese. I think pickled beets should come with warnings so that innocent people are not endangered.

Sometimes we were a little lost, but I'm pretty sure we never saw any "Welcome to Africa" signs.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 70 miles (113 km)
Total: 513 miles (826 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0