Wellington to Medina: Oberlin is special - Underground Railroad Route (Northern Half) - CycleBlaze

June 15, 2011

Wellington to Medina: Oberlin is special

There was a very busy railroad route through Wellington. We heard the horn throughout the night. I find that sound restful. The breakfast was right up Rhona's alley and included five kinds of fresh fruit and Gene even packed two bags for Rhona to take on the bike. Evelyn and Gene were wonderful hosts. Gene even moved his car from the garage and parked it in the driveway so that the tandem would be secure inside. Over breakfast we learned he had an accident at work followed by two operations and he still has limitations. Even though Evelyn works full-time, they are doing a nice job with the B&B.

On the route to Oberlin we saw many homes for sale.

Upon arrival in Oberlin, the first pedestrian we saw engaged us in converstation, wanting to know about our trip and obviously proud of the town. All through the day many college/townspeople engaged us in conversation.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On a self-guided tour we learned more about the citizen's preventing the recapture of a fugitive slave at the Oberlin-Wellington Rescue Monument in Martin Luther King. Jr. Park. John Price, a young fugitive slave was recaptured by slave traders and a federal marshals after living in the area for two years. They took him to Wellington to wait for a train. Hundreds of people from the area rescued him and he escaped on to Canada. Thirty-seven men from Oberlin and Wellington were arrested and tried for violating the Fugitive Slave Act.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Across the street stand two homes related to the rescue. The home on the left belonged to two African American tradesmen, Wilson and Henry Evans who were much involved in the Abolitionist movement. The home on the right belonged to Chanucey Wack who ran a saloon (in a town opposed to alcohol) and was pro-slavery. He ended up testifying against the men who participated in the rescue.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Built in 1846, 181 East Lorain was the address and home of Rev. John Bardwell and his wife Cornelia. Fugitives were concealed in hidden rooms located under the eaves. I wondered if the house was built with the intention of being a station on the Underground Railroad.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Several blocks away, a business had a mural related to Underground Railroad themes painted on the side of the building. If you look closely, you will recognize the Bardwell House.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the ice cream store we met and talked to the African American owner about Oberlin's anti-slavery history. He said his family actually moved south out of Canada to come to Oberlin. I'm not sure how or when they originally located in Canada.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I'm not sure if this is a sculture or an exhibit.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 miles (82 km)
Total: 592 miles (953 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0