Dry Ridge to Maysville, KY: It's not a dry heat, either! - Underground Railroad Route (Northern Half) - CycleBlaze

June 8, 2011

Dry Ridge to Maysville, KY: It's not a dry heat, either!

We were on the tandem at 6:30 a.m. trying to beat the record breaking heat along with humidity and arrived in Maysvlle before noon. We deviated from the ACA route in order to shorten the day's mileage by 7 miles. Once we had climbed a long steep hill and got on top of a ridge, the road undulated along all day, reminding us of Lancaster, Pennsylvania.

The ride was scenic in parts, but because of the heat we rarely stopped, certainly not to take pictures. This picture captures how the sun felt.
Heart 0 Comment 0

A county health department just outside of Brooksville made for a perfect rest stop. We were allowed to use the restrooms and fill water bottles and then sat outside to eat our apples.

After cooling off and napping in our motel in Maysville we rode our empty tandema few miles into "Old Washington", a tiny settlement dating from the late 1700's. We took many pictures, but it was too hot to linger long.

The old sidewalks are still functional in "Old Washington"
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Paxton Inn was the home of a man who owned slaves and emancipated them. It is now the Museum center for the historical district. We talked at length to a volunteer guide (inside the airconditioned museum). It turns out his son lives in Venetia, PA and his grandchildren attend Peters Twp. High School, our alma mater. Small world!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Seeing actual manacles worn by slaves was an emotional moment for me.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Harriet Beecher Stowe, author of "Uncle Tom's Cabin" witnessed a slave auction in the grassy area behind Rhona. She lived in Cincinnati but while visiting Old Washington was taken to the slave auction for "entertainment". She recounted the experience as a chapter in her book.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This old Post Office is still in operation.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the old buildings weren't open. I was surprised to discover that some of these old frontier cabins had air conditioning systems.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We passed quite a few farmers planting what we learned were young tobacco plants by hand. It looked to be tedious backbreaking work, especially in the heat. They all had helpers.

Today's ride: 57 miles (92 km)
Total: 193 miles (311 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0