Corydon, IN to Madison, IN: It's hot out here! - Underground Railroad Route (Northern Half) - CycleBlaze

June 6, 2011

Corydon, IN to Madison, IN: It's hot out here!

Our morning start was delayed by difficulty getting the trailer attached to the tandem. We couldn't get the cotter pins inserted into the holes on the part of the trailer that attaches to the modified wheel axle. The secret turned out to be to oil the holes and if necessary, have your wife raise the rear wheel of the trailer from the ground about two the three feet from the ground while pushing on the cotter pin. This procedure seems counterintuitive and I don't really understand why it works, but it does work and we had no additional trouble during the tour.

While loading we noticed a vehicle that looked like a prop from the "Ghostbusters" movie.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In light of the severe weather throughout May, it was a little disconcerting to see Virginia Tech students coming to the area to study severe weather conditions.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Leaving Corydon, the terrain was gentliy rolling and not too challenging. We stopped frequently at convenience stores and even a fire station for a break. After a very steep climb we stopped at a barren crossroads where the supposed "services" looked like they had been closed for several years. An older gentleman offered us cold water and the shade of his rickety barn, but it was even hotter inside the barn than outside where there was at least a little breeze. We met our first UGRR long distance cyclist, Robert Linz who is traveling north to south, part of a year long trek to the west coast and then back to Florida.

Robert Linz and Dave take a short break on a hot day. We had just coasted down a long hill, Robert didn't know what he faced after leaving us. Robert was mostly camping and obviously enjoying meeting people along the way.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We traveled along the Ohio River on the Indiana side. It was very hot, but we came across these folks, members of a YMCA exercise group running up and down the steep banks in the heat. They may have been the only people on the entire tour that looked crazier than we did.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We lunched on peanut butter and jelly bagels under a shade tree in Jeffersonville along the Ohio River looking toward Louisville. We purchased one of those jars which combined the peanut butter with grape jelly. It was one of those ideas which seemed like a good idea, but didn't turn out very well. When subjected to the unrelenting heat it turned into an unappetizing glop. It tasted alright, but you had to be careful to not look too closely at it while applying it to the bagel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This pole displayed three different bells. I wonder where they came from and who decided that they needed to be preserved and displayed this way. It appears there is room for a few more yet.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Much of the farmland seemed to have been turned into large estate housing developments. But the soil was still rich and rock free, quite a change from what we are used to in West Virginia.

Today's ride: 80 miles (129 km)
Total: 80 miles (129 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0