Vancouver to Lyon: October 6-10 around Lyon - France in Two Parts: Burgundy and then south - CycleBlaze

October 6, 2011 to October 10, 2011

Vancouver to Lyon: October 6-10 around Lyon

WEATHER: Mostly cloudy, some rain

For our third cycle tour in France, we decided to start with a loop in Burgundy in mid-October, and then hop on the train down the Rhone river to take advantage of warmer temperatures further south as the season progressed.

There is a bike path all through the city along the Rhone.
Heart 0 Comment 0

From Vancouver we flew to Lyon via Calgary and Frankfurt on Oct. 6/7. Our plan was to recover from jet lag in Lyon, as well as to explore France's third largest city which we had never seen. We had arranged to leave our Bike Friday suitcases at the Evasion Loft B&B, where we settled into a lovely room and met our charming hosts, Therèse and Olivier.

Evasion Loft was a comfortable, modern conversion of an older factory in central Lyon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of les passerelles crossing the river Saone in Lyon.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Over the next three days, we walked many kilometres around Lyon, had some good meals, and cycled on several bike paths in the city, including along the Rhone. We enjoyed the museum next to the Roman theatres (lots of description in English) and the varied architectural textures of the very interesting city spanning two rivers--the Rhone and Saone--and climbing up steep hillsides. We crossed both rivers many times, sometimes on passerelles (footbridges).

Along the bike path through central Lyon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Roman theatres seen from the museum.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking east through clearing fog across central Lyon and the two rivers. (Photo actually taken on our return to Lyon in November.)
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 22 km (14 miles)
Total: 22 km (14 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Mike AylingPeople who post old journals are usually refugees from the dark side. Anyway welcome to CycleBlaze and continue to provide the food reports!

Mike
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Eva WaltersTo Mike AylingThanks Mike. Glad you enjoyed reading our menus. An important part of cycling around France for us is sampling the food (and wine) in the different regions.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago