Montelimar to Pierrelatte: an unexpected bike path - France in Two Parts: Burgundy and then south - CycleBlaze

October 24, 2011

Montelimar to Pierrelatte: an unexpected bike path

Heart 0 Comment 0

WEATHER: showers in the morning, then cloudy

We woke up to rain. The temperatures were warmer than the last few days in Beaune, but we hadn't yet had to deal with this wet stuff while cycling. After breakfast we put on our rain gear and took off through town trying to avoid being splashed by passing vehicles. Today's ride would be a short one and much flatter than Burgundy, following the Rhone to the town of Pierrelatte. We had originally planned to go further on our way to Vaison-la-Romaine, but couldn't find accommodation.

We soon got off the busy streets through Montelimar, and crossed the bridge over the Rhone and were back on a quiet country road parallel to the river on an island. After about a kilometre the road curved and came next to a newly paved bike path. We quickly decided to take advantage of the smooth surface and the occasional views of the river. The rain stopped too, which was very nice. We soon learned from posted signs that this was part of the Rhone bike path starting in Geneva and planned eventually to go as far as Arles. We hoped it would take us all the way to Pierrelatte because there were signs showing the distance. However it suddenly ended after about 15 kilometres at the bridge going over to Viviers.

Scenic old castle along the route, with plenty of power.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The new, smooth pavement on the bike path made for pleasant cycling.
Heart 0 Comment 0

From this point we were on mostly quiet roads through farmland the rest of the way to Pierrelatte.which we reached just after noon. We found a small bistro, Cafe de Paris, on the main street open for lunch and already packed with locals. Most restaurants, especially in the small towns, are closed on Monday (as well as Sunday) so the ones that are open fill up quickly. A tiny bit of sun had peeked out, so we sat down at one of the outside tables (mainly for smokers this time of year) and ordered large salads with thin-sliced cheese on top. While we were waiting, a huge wind suddenly came up from behind us and threatened to blow the table over. Just then an inside table by the window was vacated and we thankfully moved inside.

After lunch we cycled through Pierrelatte to our hotel just opposite the historic church. After we got settled, we explored the old part of town, and walked past the huge rock that probably gave the town its name. The weather stayed windy and very cloudy but no more rain.

Today's ride: 31 km (19 miles)
Total: 430 km (267 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0