Day 046 - Sidney to Van Wert - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

May 31, 2023

Day 046 - Sidney to Van Wert

Heart 1 Comment 0

It was another fine day in northwestern Ohio.  This part of Ohio is one of our favorite places to ride - attested by the fact that we spent a week in this area in 2020. (Day 109 - St. Marys, OH Loop 6 - Two Far 2020 - NTF (Not Two Far) - CycleBlaze))

There is a stark difference between northwestern Ohio and southeastern Ohio.  Besides having flat terrain, northwestern Ohio is much more prosperous, the farms and towns are much neater, and there is less litter along the roads. 

My first stop of the day was at the Village Market and Deli in New Knoxville.  While there, I struck up a conversation with a gentleman and he was extolling the virtues of the town. I asked if the town had a museum, and he said yes, but it was closed.  He also stated that he had a key to the museum and would like to take me to it, but couldn't because he was on his way to a doctor's appointment.  No sooner did he leave, than he returned with a woman in tow, and said she had a key to the museum and would open it up for me. I thus ended up with a personal tour of the New Knoxville Historical Society Museum.

Diane Fledderjohann gave me a person tour of the museum. Thank you Diane.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This house contains the main part of the museum. It sits on a large corner lot in town and is original to the site.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The museum has relocated a smokehouse and the town barbershop to its site.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There is also a barn. None of them are currently open to the public.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Inside the museum, one room was dedicated to the local school's sports teams and band.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Band and cheerleader uniforms of years gone by.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Until recently, new Knoxville had its own local telephone company. This was some of their equipment. Diane told me that when the company was originally founded, it sold 100 shares of stock for $100 apiece, and that her family had been one of the original investors. Over the years the stock had been split so that shares could be divided among family members, etc. She smiled when she said the company had been recently sold for $48,000 per share, but didn't divulge how many shares her family had owned.
Heart 1 Comment 0
New Knoxville was founded by German immigrants. This piece of wood came from Germany, where it was part of a doorway. Zoom in to read the translation.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I didn't catch the entire connection, but these folks, from the mid 1850's, are part of Diane's family tree.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Amanda, owner of P & G Mini Mart in Mendon. Thanks for the free drink!
Heart 1 Comment 0

As I previously stated, we like this part of the country, and the following road scenes show why.  These are not carefully selected photos.  For a large portion of the day, traffic was measured in miles per vehicle. :-)

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This section was especially nice - new pavement and no traffic.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Many of the fields still had last year's crop residue. Some of them have been replanted using no-till methods, but others, like this one, looked fallow.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And yes, we are in OHIO.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 miles (90 km)
Total: 2,149 miles (3,458 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0