Day 041 - Wheeling, WV to Cambridge, OH - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

May 26, 2023

Day 041 - Wheeling, WV to Cambridge, OH

Heart 1 Comment 0

If I have many more days like today, I'm going to have to buy some new bike shoes.  I walked a LOT of hills :-)

Overall though, the day was great.  The first walk of the day actually occurred on flat ground.  I had to walk through a construction zone to gain access to to the Wheeling Suspension Bridge.  Once on the bridge, I mounted up and pedaled across the river.  Luckily, I did not meet anyone along the way, because it was a narrow path.

Jeanna & I scouted the site out last night to make sure the bridge was, in fact, open to pedestrians and cyclists.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gaining access to the bridge. The bridge was opened in 1849 and, at the time, had the world's longest center span.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Pedestrian passage. There were men working on the bridge today. On man was painting the cables by hand with a paint roller. I wonder how long that job will take??
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerWow, I beat he missed a lot of area……
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Railroad trestles merging to cross the Ohio River. The stone-arched trestle Is the B&O Viaduct and is now a walking trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Riding alongside a pretty creek on OH-149.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another shot of OH-149. Although very hilly, it was also very scenic and there was no traffic to speak of. (On several of the hills I had to walk, I walked right up the center of the lane.)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Barnesville depot.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Across from the above depot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This underpass was just a short distance from the depot.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A well-maintained farm - somewhat of a rarity in this area. (Refer to the above, which was more of the norm)
Heart 0 Comment 0
I finished the day on the Great Guernsey Trail. The trail runs 7 miles between Lore City and the outskirts of Cambridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0

A side note, and a little history...

I grew up about 30 miles away from Cambridge and did not know that a Civil War skirmish (Morgan's Raid) occurred on July 24th, 1863 in Lore City (then known as Campbell Station).  Morgan's Raid (Morgan's Raid - Wikipedia) was led by Confederate Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan.  

Cambridge and Lore City are in Guernsey County, but nearby is Morgan County which is named for a revolutionary war figure and not related to General Morgan.  

The county high school is Morgan High School, and their sports teams are called Morgan Raiders. Morgan H.S. was in our athletic conference (Muskingum Valley League) and we played them every year.  Their mascot is below.   (I read that, as of 2020, a movement began to change their nickname and mascot, but I don't know the current status)

Sometimes, you learn things from those trail signs - I didn't know, but now you do :-)

Photo captured from Zanesville Times Recorder article.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 62 miles (100 km)
Total: 1,908 miles (3,071 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like you will soon be passing through or near Dayton, OH where I live about 1 1/2 miles from Creekside trail. It would be fun to meet up if schedules permit.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Bill ShaneyfeltWe'd really like to meet you. Unfortunately, our route is taking us northwest out of Columbus, so we won't be in the Dayton area.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Jeanna & Kerry SmithYeah, seems most folks tend to miss Dayton as they cross the country. Maybe it will happen some day if I can keep following your journals!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago