Day 036 - Cumberland, MD to Confluence, PA - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

May 21, 2023

Day 036 - Cumberland, MD to Confluence, PA

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today started with a "It's a REALLY Small World" moment.  

A little background: 

In 2018, we met Ken and Francie Gass on the Erie Canal Trail.  They were riding the same model tandem as we were, so of course we had to stop and talk.  One thing led to another, and in 2019 they came to visit us in FL, and we did a short bike trip together (A Little Two Far - CycleBlaze).   We also met up with them in 2021 when they were doing a west-to-east cross-country trip and we were headed to Montana (Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze). In addition, we are planning to visit with Ken and Francie at the end of this trip.

Fast forward to this morning.  I was in line at the breakfast bar along with some other touring cyclists.  As usual, I struck up a conversation with one of them, asking where he was from.  When he said was with a group from Bellingham, I asked him if he happened to know Ken and Francie Gass.  He chuckled and said Ken was in their riding group and that he had heard of Jeanna & me!  It just goes to show that you'll never know who you might meet.

Jim & Karen Wakefield, Marc & Kathy Fairbanks and Heather Higgins & Steve Ban, from Bellingham, WA
Heart 0 Comment 2
Francie GassAbsolutely amazing. I love this story! See you in a couple of months!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithLooking forward to it. We may run into more mutual friends by then!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
And this is Cathy and Tricia, part of the same group.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Off the C&O, onto the GAP
Heart 0 Comment 0
A clean bike ready to tackle 150 miles of hardpack. What are the odds it will stay clean??
Heart 1 Comment 0
Holding back the mountainside.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Starting from Cumberland its a steady 2% grade to the Eastern Continental Divide which is 24 miles away.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cave is about 4 miles outside of Cumberland.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not much to see.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View from the Cash Valley Trailhead which is on Horseshoe Curve.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
View of the curve.
Heart 0 Comment 0
While at the trailhead, I saw these guys coasting down. I thought they were alone, but I was wrong. Shortly thereafter, a whole sting of railbikes came by, followed by a Jeep chase vehicle.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Trail vista. It was a gorgeous day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are several waterfalls along the GAP.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking down on the town of Mt. Savage.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Larry & Dave. Larry's from Cumberland. He gave me a card and said if I ever got back there, he'd buy me an ice cream.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An old signal tower.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Frostburg is where the railcar rides start. It is a 17-mile downhill coast to Cumberland.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The trail is in great shape, and in places very wide. Notice the color of the hardpack.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ken & Barbara were headed to Cumberland and points south.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Borden Tunnel was the 2nd of 4 tunnels for the day.  It is a short (952 feet), wide tunnel that was easy to ride thru.  The motion-activated lights created some neat shadows.

Heart 0 Comment 0
As soon as I crossed the state line, the hardpack became red stone.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another trail vista
Heart 0 Comment 0
About to enter the Mt. Savage tunnel. This is the longest tunnel on the GAP and is dark.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Here is a video clip of inside the tunnel.  As I mentioned, the tunnel is dark Even with the overhead lights.  When I entered the tunnel, I had to make an emergency stop because I forgot to take my sunglasses off and could not see. (Not the first time that has happened to me!)

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Profile of the GAP, from Cumberland to Pittsburg. As you can see, the climb is much shorter and steeper when you are headed to Pittsburgh. I'm looking forward to my next two days of downhill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I tried to get a better shot of this fella, but he made it to the weeds before I could. I watched him crawl through the weeds just off the trail for several yards, but could not get a clear shot.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltRather heavy bodied, so it might be a water snake.
https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/29306-Nerodia-sipedon-sipedon
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Guineafowl along the trail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another waterfall.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 64 miles (103 km)
Total: 1,696 miles (2,729 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0