Day 019 - Rest Day - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

May 4, 2023

Day 019 - Rest Day

For us, it was an active 'rest' day.  We were up early, and in the breakfast room at 7AM.  After breakfast we returned to the room to read for a while and re-plan our day.  Yesterday we had planned to be out and about before 9, but when we stepped outside this morning, it was way too cold for us.  After checking the weather forecast, we decided that 11 AM would be a more appropriate departure time.  (During this time, we also talked about going to a Wal-Mart and buying some jeans and sweatshirts because this weather has been crazy).

View from our hotel room.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerThat is amazing....
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
A calm Atlantic.
Heart 1 Comment 0

When we finally did go outside, there was another short delay as I had to go check out all the custom trucks that were in the parking lot.  This was a different group from yesterday and none of these trucks were dragsters.  

A Ford COE (cab over engine)??
Heart 1 Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerMy Trucker would look excellent on that ~ heck I'd paint it the same color!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerIt had a gorgeous paint job.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Nope. It's a CAE (Cab ahead of engine). The amount of customization was amazing and, as the reflections attest, it had a beautiful paint job.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another truck with a nice paint job. I was really surprised when the owner told me it was painted over 25 years ago, because the finish was flawless.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our first stop of the day was Fort Raleigh National Historic Site on Roanoke Island.  Fort Raleigh was the site of first English colony in North America and the location of the settlement known as the "Lost Colony".  We joined a guided tour and took walk about the grounds.  The replica of the fort was the only structure to see - but there were several information displays scattered about. 

Earthen walls of Fort Raleigh. Archeologists reconstructed the fort in the 1950's. This is the only historical structure on the grounds.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the information display boards.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In the visitors center a woman came up to Jeanna and said that she saw us (or more specifically, out car) on the Ocracoke-Hatteras ferry.  It turns out that Carolyn and Jack live in Charlotte and were very familiar with the area where Jeanna grew up.

Carolyn, Jack (Carolyn's husband) and Susan (Carolyn's sister)
Heart 0 Comment 0

As we were leaving Fort Raleigh, we saw the Mini Cooper below and wondered if it could be the couple that we spent a lot of time talking to on the same ferry. (I have a photo of a blue Mini Cooper crammed on the ferry in yesterday's entry).  Sure enough, not long after was got back to our hotel room, we received an email from Kathy and Mike, saying they saw our car in the parking lot and then again on the bridge that connects Roanoke Island to Nags Head.  Small world!

You can see the rear of this car on the ferry that we took 2 days ago.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After we left Fort Raleigh, we visited the Elizabethan Gardens.  I enjoyed walking about the grounds, especially since each plant had a marker identifying it.  For once, I didn't need to rely on Bill S.'s assistance. :-)

Heart 0 Comment 0
A Privy Garden. The building in the background was the gift shop.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Queen Elizabeth I.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Victoria Falls Bearded Iris
Heart 0 Comment 0
View of Albemarle Sound from the Gardens.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is a walled garden where the 'walls' are tall hedges.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A statue gazing upon the fountain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The low hedges in each corner of the garden were symmetrical.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Butterfly art.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A walled rose garden.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Finally, here is a photo Jeanna took from our balcony while I was finishing up the journal entry.

Full moon over the Atlantic.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerAn oceanfront room is particularly nice with a full moon!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 2
John PescatoreHi, Jeanna and Kerry - your route does not look like it will take you very close to where we live between Baltimore MD and Washington DC, but when you are on that segment of planning, if you'd like to stay with us, my wife and I would be glad to host you. Janet and Stephen Rickey stayed with us for a few nights in 2018 when they were heading up the east coast and hooked them up with a very good local bike shop, as well.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo John PescatoreThank you for the invitation. If we were going to be near you, we would take you up on it, but we are, as you have seen, going to be pretty well north of you. Perhaps you mentioned it because you already know, but Janet and Stephan (and Emma) stayed with us on their 2018 tour as well. It is always so much fun to meet other touring cyclists.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago